Tuesday 5 August 2014

Play: Richard III (with Martin Freeman)

You know, I've already seen a few versions of Richard III, and I wouldn't have bothered about this production at all except that someone I know said someone he knows enjoyed it. And I said to myself, well, we can't have people that know people I know having seen things that are good and that I haven't seen! So I kept searching for a ticket - this is very popular - and eventually got one with lovetheatre. They always have good seats, and I got a premium seat - and was glad to be in the third row, when I read on the website that those in the front two rows should be prepared to be splashed with stage blood! and should dress appropriately, whatever that means..

I remembered the way to Trafalgar Studios, although it's been a while. It's just off Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall. So, if you're coming from Embankment, head up Northumberland Avenue to Trafalgar Square and take the next street to the left. I arrived in plenty of time, and collected my ticket. I gave my name - no need, really, to explain which show I was there for! although there is actually another show running. The auditorium was already open, and I headed in. And.. then I saw the signs that warned that the front three rows were likely to be splashed with blood! and plastic macs were available from staff. Ehh..

Anyway, I took my seat, and noticed that all the seats in the front three rows had black clothing draped over the backs. So I donned mine, which turned out to be a Fruit of the Loom jumper. In XL, handily. Others had shirts, which were handier, because you could just put them on back to front and not bother with doing them up. Anyhoo. The lady to my left confided that that was why she'd worn black anyway! Shortly, someone came to inform us that we wouldn't need the protective clothing until the second act, but I already had mine on, and kept it on - it wasn't too warm, fortunately.

Ooh, how to describe this play? I don't know where to start, so I'll start at the beginning. Actually, before that - because, before the play even gets going, you gradually come to notice an old lady sitting on a bench to the side, looking sad. The lady beside me was confused, and consulted the lady on her other side, who had a programme - turned out this was Maggie Steed, who's playing Queen Margaret. Which reminded me of the review I read at the weekend, which pointed out that this is generally quite a minor role, but they've made much more of it here.

Which is just the first of many shocks of this production. All the characters come in, en masse, at the start, and the relevant ones play their parts while the others stay on stage, frozen in place. A good way to introduce us to everyone - as Richard III mentions people, he can go around pointing at them. I was surprised to see Gina McKee in the cast - she plays Queen Elizabeth. I was trying to remember what I'd last seen her in, and upon reading her bio, realised that she played Caterina Sforza in The Borgias. And Martin Freeman, as Richard III, is, frankly, hilarious.

Yes, you read me right - hilarious! This is a performance that flings itself at you, right from the start. I do believe I've read a description of it as "visceral". Yup, that'd be right. And I don't know whether to praise the acting or the direction more - everyone involved is outstanding. The acting is, as you would expect, world-class: and I have never seen a more imaginatively directed version of this play! The setting is unusual - well, I've also seen it done in 1930s style a couple of times, so that's not a first. But what they do with the script really enlivens it, playing with the words, giving them a new twist.

This play has variously been described as a history and as a tragedy, and the tragedy is very apparent here. There is a real humorous streak, more apparent at the beginning - but this is not a play for the squeamish. They do like their blood, which is dark red, and - everywhere. Well, to be fair, a lot of people die in this. There's a severed head at one point, which is absolutely soaked in the stuff. When the ghosts of those that Richard has murdered appear to him at the end, they're soaked in it too. Indeed, by the end, I don't think there's a single cast member who hasn't got bloody - their laundry bill must be terrible! There are some gruesome murders, quite gleefully enacted. And it's quite a spooky play, with sinister music, and Queen Margaret busily cursing people, then hovering around the edges, despite having nothing to say - her figure presenting itself as a spectre of doom.. and let's not forget those ghosts!

Well, of course, all this makes for great fun. Or so I thought - the lady to my left didn't seem to agree. I noticed she had her hand to her face several times during the first half, and she kept looking over at me, I'm sure, doubtless wondering at my rapt expression. She left at the interval and didn't return. Shame - those seats aren't cheap. But this won't be to the liking of those with delicate sensibilities. Neither is it suitable for those with photosensitive epilepsy - they represent the battle scenes with flashing lights. As for the blood spatter - as I suspected, they were just being cautious. Someone is stabbed in the jugular at one point, and the blood does indeed spatter, but certainly tonight it hadn't a hope of reaching past the first row. People in the first row might indeed be advised to wear protective clothing! There's probably also a slight element of hype in those warnings.

BTW, I was rather glad of the extra space once the seat beside me was free - legroom is a bit snug, even in the premium seats!

I was peckish, not having had time to eat before I left, so had a rather delicious chocolate chocolate-chip ice cream at the interval. Unusually, they provide you with two size options for ice cream. I also bought a programme, and hardly got any of it read before the second act. Then I promptly forgot it in the kerfuffle of removing my black jumper and collecting my belongings to leave. I only remembered it when I saw them on sale in the lobby - but there was too much of a crowd to go back for it. Nuts!

Might I also sound a note of annoyance about the lady to my right. A seat in Hell is surely reserved for people who use their mobiles inappropriately, and she saw fit to text busily throughout the second act. At least she seemed to be enjoying it - maybe she was texting her opinion. Surprise, surprise - as we climbed the stairs at the end, she was holding up everyone again - we all had to squeeze past her, as she texted away again..

I must seriously, seriously recommend this play. This is, literally, the best thing I've seen in months. Runs until 27 September, booking essential - although demand seems to have slowed: I think it's bookable a week in advance now. If you have any interest in this play - and you don't mind rivers of blood - you must see this!

Phew! Well, tomorrow is looking like Boat People, a film about a photojournalist returning to Vietnam, at the BFI. If I feel like it. Then, on Thursday, I have a ticket to Marry Me a Little, at the St. James Studio - haven't been to the studio on this site before! It's a musical comprised of discarded songs from other musicals by Stephen Sondheim..

No comments:

Post a Comment