Friday 23 September 2022

Pub / Restaurant The Plaquemine Lock

Tonight, back with Civilised London for a Cajun & Creole meal at Plaquemine Lock, with drinks at The Narrowboat.

Making my way cautiously along the towpath, I made it there early. Still, two of them beat me to it! And we chatted.. and drank.. and chatted.. and headed to the restaurant in due course. Nice to be with a sociable Meetup group, eh!

Our visit to the restaurant was enlivened by the appearance of a large, fluffy white dog, which I made sure to say hi to when I was passing to/from the loo. Now, I hadn't eaten here before. Looking at the prices - and the selection - of the starters, some of us decided to go for the "bar snacks" on the menu as starters. So, I had fried chicken from there, and blackened chicken for main. And a glass of sauvignon blanc - being, as usual, the only one on white.

Hem. The fried chicken was ok, apart from a burnt coating - the main was, indeed, blackened chicken, accompanied by a sausage I couldn't eat (too spicy). The chicken was tasty - the blackened coating was as pointless as you might expect. The rice was ok. In short, I didn't like it much, didn't rate the service (I had to ask twice for a second glass of wine, and she acted like it was the first time she'd heard it). I've had better food, and better service, elsewhere. I won't be back - why on earth would I?

En route back, we stopped at The Island Queen, which I think our organiser had liked the look of on the outbound journey. And had a nightcap there. Always a good group to join - but I don't think I'll join them there for food again.

Tomorrow, I was supposed to meet Ivan, as well as two other ex-colleagues, at Imad's Syrian Kitchen. Which, of course, I know about from a previous CL event! Of course, it isn't working out that way - one of them has the flu and doesn't want to spread it, and Ivan has to take his dog to the vet. So, me and one other - well, so much is good!

On Sunday, booked with Discover London - History Walks and Events for the London Sheep Drive & Livery Fair. Have to hand it to her, she always comes up with interesting things..

On Monday, as usual, I'm on my own.. heading to Divas, at the QT bar. Which, of course, focuses on the hits of - the divas!

And on Tuesday, back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! (Considering I probably won't be in a job at that point.) Gee, seems ages since I saw them.. Anyway, this walk is around Sophisticated (& Sometimes Seedy) St. James'..

No comments:

Post a Comment