Friday 9 September 2022

Dance: Clorinda Agonistes

Today, the best thing coming up was Clorinda Agonistes ("the warrior") - a mixture of dance, opera, and film, courtesy of Sadlers Wells. Based on an opera by Monteverdi, it's the story of a female Saracen warrior, Clorinda, who loves a Crusader, in Jerusalem, back in the day. Which sounded like it'd have a particular resonance for me, as I've just finished reading a book about the Queens of Jerusalem, which concerns itself with this period. Anyway, this was advertised by Up in the Cheap Seats. (And it beggars belief that Meetup consistently refuses to advertise their stuff to me, considering how often I've attended their events!)

Anyway, again, I wanted to use my theatre token from Seatplan. Again, this is one of the venues that don't accept them online - so I had to ring the box office to book. Unfortunately, the box office has opening hours - and again, I couldn't get organised to ring during office hours. So I finally gave up, and booked without use of a token. Again. At least I got my favourite seat, all on its own to the side - "restricted view" because of a teeny rail in your line of vision. Mind you, when I booked, the entire back of the second circle was free - so I thought I might have half the theatre to myself!

Looking for somewhere to eat en route, nowhere seemed to open before 5 - and I was hungry before 5. So I ended up in O' Neill's again, in the upstairs dining area because it was so busy downstairs. The waiter was one who's served me many times before - he didn't quite manage to remember my order without being told, though he tried! (I'll have to eat there a few more times, it seems.) Anyway, both tvs were - of course - showing footage related to the historic royal handover - BBC on one, Sky News on the other. Both with the sound down. Interestingly, when I finished and went downstairs, the King's inaugural speech was playing - with the sound up! I listened to a few minutes of it, then got bored and left.


Gee, we're not going to forget what the Queen looked like anytime soon!



At the theatre, I schlepped up to the top level - I was the first to arrive. Not just the first of the group - the first customer! Just me, the Queen, and the bored people working there, probably wishing they were somewhere else.


I ordered a drink, and the others arrived in good course. And it was great to see the organiser again - it's been months! When it was time to head in, the usher, upon seeing my seat number, pointed out that I could probably sit where I liked. So I did - in the front row. Not a bad view at all.


Now. What to say about the show. Tricky. Afterwards, there was a Q+A - only one of us went to it, while the rest of us chatted about what we'd seen - and I think we all agreed that it was kind of incomprehensible. (Perhaps we should have gone to the Q+A..) Basically, it's about female warriors - for a deeper meaning, take what you like from it. I'm glad I had the basic story of the first part, with the Saracen and the Crusader - because I certainly wouldn't have figured it out from this. The story was, apparently, being sung - but not in English, and such surtitles as there were, were - patchy. With the side screens flickering, I wondered whether there was a technical fault - there certainly was with the audio, at the start - but if this was a creative decision, it was woeful!

The second part of this one-hour show has background footage depicting flight over buildings - it's unclear, but I got the impression that our heroine who is killed in the first part is reincarnated in the second, as one of a whole band of female warriors. We get the same surtitles as in the first part - making even less sense, here. Having said that, there was some imagery - and some music - in the second part that I found stunningly beautiful. But plotwise, it all seemed quite pointless. So, um, I'd have to say - avoid. Also showing tomorrow night, but you can surely find something less confusing to attend!

And so home, through interesting backstreets:


Tomorrow, I'm back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old LondonersThis time, it's a tour of The Backstreets of Islington! Lovely, my neck of the woods - in fact, this is a walk I can walk to. And Helen is coming! Which will be nice, and the first time in ages I'll have seen her. The timing is a bit unfortunate, as it clashes with the accession council, at least part of which is being televised.. oh well, we shall see!

And on Sunday, Cultureseekers is heading to Open House London - which used to run over a weekend, and has turned into a fortnight-long extravaganza! This festival, which started yesterday, allows access to buildings you normally can't see. They're off to the Banqueting House, which I've never seen, and the Royal Opera House, which I have - including on a backstage tour. Just before the world went into lockdown. So, I fancy the Banqueting House - but I don't fancy accompanying this group, which currently numbers 202 attendees! I'll go on my own, thanks - in fact, I'll be trying to avoid this humungous group, who will be there from 1-2.30 approximately. You have been warned. Mind you, the question does arise - can you take a group that large in?

No comments:

Post a Comment