Tuesday 20 September 2022

Film: Hawa (Wind)

Today, I planned to go virtual again - this is a new group, called London History & Culture, and the talk was on Jack the Ripper and Victorian Times, courtesy of Heygo, who seem to do a lot of these. I had to register separately with Heygo for the talk, but hey, they're free! Jeez though, this felt like lockdown again..

And you know what? I've heard quite enough about b****y Jack the Ripper! So I ended up turning to film, redoing the film list late last night - and after eliminating the stuff at the top of the list I had no interest in.. what was left but a Bangla film, called Hawa (Wind). The trailer stood out amongst all I watched last night.. closest showing in Cineworld Wood Green, which, ironically, was the last place I watched a film from, well, near there, and walked out in disgust after 30 minutes. Better luck this time? Certainly, the trailer looked great, with beautiful music (which will always sell anything to me), and looked really intense. It stayed on the list.

There were two showings, the earlier of which would have clashed with my afternoon call to my mother. So I aimed for the evening show, eating first - while doing so, I happened to check how the film was selling. And on discovering that it was 2/3 full already, I promptly booked myself. Then discovered I could take a combination of buses that would get me there in under an hour - which I had time to do, and that is what I did. They were busy, but I managed, and remembered where the cinema entrance was, this time, when I finally got there. Queued for an inordinate amount of time for chocolate, and ended up being the first into the screen. Which did fill up, some minutes later - with a crowd that felt no real compunction to be quiet. I have experienced worse, mind - but really, people, is it so hard to turn off the phones and STOP TALKING?!

Yes, happy to say that this is good. The cinematography is terrific, the characters well-developed as we follow a boatload of fishermen out on a fishing trip. Things are going well - until they catch a particularly big fish. Well, that's what one fisherman, who's been on the waccy baccy, thinks they have - everyone else sees a beautiful young woman. Who appears to be dead, but then starts breathing. But wow, they have no idea what they have on their hands.. There's much muttering about the bad luck inherent in having a woman on board, and this time they're right - as they discover over the course of the film.

It's interesting that this seems to have attracted a lot of negative attention - presumably in its native Bangladesh - for bad language and violence. Gee, reminds me of Ireland, back in the bad old days! They have tried to ban it. But this is a really good film - highly recommended for anyone who likes an eerie story.

Tomorrow, back with Civilised London (not Up in the Cheap Seats, mea culpa!) for Eureka Day, with Helen Hunt, at the Old Vic. Oh thank goodness, an in-person Meetup at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment