Monday 13 April 2020

Plays: Buried, Graceland, & Nuclear War

This evening, Up in the Cheap Seats has yet another event organised - this time, a YouTube viewing of the opera, La Giaconda. (Sorry, that link starts a bit into it - but I can't figure out how to correct that. And I advise you to click the subtitles button if you don't speak the lingo!) As usual, too late in the evening for me to attend - but I could just watch earlier.

Except then I got an email, today, from the Old Red Lion Theatre. Remember I'd booked a show with them, the last night I was in London? Which turned out not to be running? I complained, and they subsequently gave me a credit voucher. But all of a sudden, they've popped that production I was supposed to see, that night, up on YouTube! Available until the 27th! I was keen to see it, so did that instead.

First up is Buried, the true story of the actor's grandfather, who was buried alive during the Second World War. The play was written by the man's son - the actor's father. Very atmospheric - and they turn out to be from Dublin. Now, by this time, Ireland had its independence, and was neutral in the war - but some people decided to sign up, individually. So it's absolutely packed with Dublin banter and anecdotes, as the poor fellow waits to be rescued.. or die.

Graceland is a pretty hilarious piece about a harassed chemistry teacher with a rambunctious class - the audience plays an interactive role as the class, here. Has a very poignant undertone.

Finally, Nuclear War is a poetic piece, which through word and movement explores the realities of dating and desire.

This is a really excellent triptych - highly recommended! Includes explicit content. (Hey, wonder whether my credit voucher is still valid..)

So, another week starts tomorrow, and I have nothing planned till Saturday. When I'm thinking film, again.. still haven't watched Planet Earth's next-highest rated episode, #3: Fresh Water!

No comments:

Post a Comment