Monday 20 April 2020

Documentary: Planet Earth (Episode 6 - Ice Worlds)

Again, a lack of decent programmes tonight - so I decided to watch another episode of Planet Earth. Next highly rated episode is Episode 6 (Ice Worlds) - and again, I found a serialised version on YouTube. Good quality recordings - it's just a shame that they never seem to have all the bits! (They're broken into chunks lasting roughly 2.5 minutes each, and some are blocked.) In this case, happily, I got all but three out of 21 - the last had no sound, but it is mostly closing credits, anyway.

Again, magnificent sweeping shots over incredible scenery. Again, unbelievable closeups of wildlife - from furry penguins at the South Pole to furry polar bears at the North. Mind you, I'm the last person to be watching documentaries about creatures surviving in extremes - I absolutely dissolve whenever they start to talk about penguin chicks freezing to death, or polar bears starving because the ice shelves are breaking up earlier, which makes it harder for them to catch their prey. Oh but lordy, then there's another cute picture of a chick or a cub, and I'm oohing and aahing again..

On Saturday, London Social Detours (LSD) has a quiz - in the afternoon, so I've signed up.

On Sunday, as usual, I'm following Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS)' lead in watching Hampstead Theatre's weekly offering, which this week is the currently topical Tiger Country, set in the NHS.

On the 2nd, behold, LSD has my attention again - they're doing an online murder mystery, where everyone chooses a character and (optionally) dresses up. Small fee. Cool! We get scripts, it seems.. And I've been chosen to be Sierra Tango, police constable! Seems it's been booking heavily, and that was all that was left. Fine by me.

On the 3rd, back with Hampstead Theatre for The Arrest of Ai Weiwei. UITCS is, of course, seeing it that evening.

Now, the 8th is a bank holiday - so I'll need something to do that day as well. And I'm thinking I'll follow UITCS' lead from earlier in the week, and have a look at a livestreamed Showstopper! show, filmed in the Lyric a month ago without an audience (!), now available on Facebook..

No comments:

Post a Comment