Friday 17 April 2020

Dance: The Metamorphoisis

Again, a gap without decent programmes on telly. Again, I turned to Meetup for inspiration. And again, Up in the Cheap Seats turned up trumps - not that I could make the actual Meetup, but I happily watched later. And this time, it was a Royal Opera House contemporary dance version of The Metamorphosis, by Kafka. Seems that, every Friday evening, they're streaming a new production - available for 30 days, I think. Mind you, you can also watch it on YouTube, like I did - or, apparently, on Facebook. Now, that's what I call advertising..

So - the story concerns a responsible young man, the sole breadwinner for his family. Every day follows the same dull routine, and the only spark of life comes from his little sister, whom he indulges and buys presents. But one morning - he awakes to find that.. he's turned into an insect.

A weirder, more grotesque transformation you will not find in a dancer. He contorts himself into all sorts of angular, insect-like shapes, and they spew black ink all over him to emphasise the difference, the mess he makes as he writhes around contrasting sharply with the all-white set. His parents, predictably, are perplexed, disturbed, uncomprehending. The cleaner has a helluva job to do, which she doesn't appreciate. His little sister is the only one sympathetic to him, as she tries to understand what's happened, initially tries to get him back to normal, and when she can't, tries to make him as comfortable as possible. But you know things can't go on like this..

Terrific, imaginative production, with an eerie score that I actually found quite soporific! Not good, as I was watching it late at night - and would have been tempted to leave it, except that I was enjoying it. Unsettling, mind - sort of a horror story. So I loved it! And again I have to say, there's so much free stuff available online now that no-one with an interest in the arts should be bored! Certainly beats what was available on telly.

I'm thinking film for tomorrow, again.. still haven't watched Planet Earth's next-highest rated episode, #3: Fresh Water!

No comments:

Post a Comment