Friday 3 April 2020

Videos: Rock n Roll at the Royal Albert Hall

Tomorrow, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) is hosting another virtual Meetup - this time, of a half-hour rock concert at the Albert Hall! Actually snippets of different concerts, all broadcast for free by the venue. Again, the communal experience is a bit late for me - but the Meetup is full anyway, and there's nothing to stop me watching it earlier.

But as it happened, I got to it today! Well, it was only half an hour's worth of content. The venue has a whole range of videos available.. and this compilation was very enjoyable. Reflecting the organiser's interests, it starts with a Led Zeppelin track - unfortunately, I'm not a fan. Happily, the rest was more to my taste - next up was Eric Clapton, with Cocaine.. I was very impressed, as always, by the Stereophonics.. hit of the list for me was the next, with Iggy Pop performing The Passenger. Definitely worth tuning in for! The list ends with David Gilmour, whom I'd never even heard of! Good though, with a most interesting, animated video - the rest in this list are live. Pity these Meetups are mostly on in the evenings, which I can't manage, so I miss chatting with the others..

Alternatively, for tomorrow, UITCS are watching Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Andrew Lloyd Webber is streaming a whole heap of his musicals on YouTube for free - all you have to do is subscribe to his channel, The Show Must Go On. Shows will be released at 7pm every Friday, for 48 hours - starting tonight. Again, I'll have to watch at another time. But I suspect I'll be back to this channel! The problem, of course, with such a busy group as UITCS is, when you remove commuting time.. they can pack so many more events into a day..

On Sunday morning, Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group is heading on a virtual tour of Mount Everest, on Google Maps! So I'll tag along. He's actually closing down this group, so this is likely to be my last event with them - I'm not sufficiently invested in it to join his Facebook group.

That afternoon, why, London Social Detours has another event I'm interested in. (And for once, she's not charging..!) She's reading a chapter of a book entitled London: The Wicked City, and there's to be a chat afterwards. First sociable thing I'm planning!

And yes, UITCS is busy again.. They're watching a play called Wild, on the Hampstead Theatre website on Sunday evening. Another by Mike Bartlett, by the synopsis, it sounds like a dramatisation of the story of Edward Snowden. So that sounds interesting.. and as Hampstead Theatre is only streaming plays free for a week each, Sunday is the last day for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment