Thursday 19 March 2020

Non-event

I could not find a cinema open in London from today. However, I did find one theatre - so I headed off to the Old Red Lion this evening, for a triple bill - Nuclear War / Buried / Graceland. In persistent drizzle - just made the bus, and gazed at empty pubs and closed restaurants as we headed along the way. And so to the pub - a welcome beacon of light..



Cleaner than usual, inside - but they did mention that they've increased their sanitation measures. The box office kiosk was unoccupied, no lights on - the door to the theatre was open, but the rope was across the stairs to it, and the curtain drawn. With 15 minutes to go. So I sat down and, eh, waited. The pub was dead, apart from a noisy table around the corner.





And once it came to half past - start time - I left. At least I got a free journey back with the Hopper fare, since it'd been less than an hour since I'd tapped in first! I've applied to the box office for a refund. Damp squib to end on, but hey.

Now, I tried and tried to find another theatre open tomorrow - to no avail. So I checked the Ryanair website - there having been rumours of flight cancellations. And when I logged in - first thing I saw was that my flights back to Ireland in a week's time have been cancelled: no bookings being taken after Tuesday. With a confirmed booking, they should have informed me, but I daresay they're swamped. So I said, well, this wasn't entirely unexpected - and with nothing happening in London, and WFH anyway, I might as well be in Ireland. My mother at least has a telly! Now, the app is down - but I managed to book a flight for tomorrow on the website. Checked in as well - and although the app is down, I managed to download the mobile boarding pass in the end. Processing the refund is another day's work.

So, that'll be it. Literally everything in my calendar has been cancelled, up to the 7th - which is unlikely to happen either. And most things I'd booked after that. But I can't count on anything right now, and have booked a one-way ticket. So, this is my last post. For an indefinite period. As all the theatres say, "it is with a heavy heart.." Take care, stay healthy. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment