Sunday 28 May 2023

Wicked Wonderland: Burlesque Cabaret

Tonight, with CT at The Bedford, for Wicked Wonderland: Burlesque Cabaret. Unusual for me not to be doing a walk on a Sunday - hallelujah, a lie-in! Much needed.

There seemed to be plenty of eateries out that way, so I headed straight out there - by Tube, it being all of six miles, and unfeasibly long any other way. Thankfully, I got a seat - had to remind myself not to be surprised, because it wasn't rush hour, being a Sunday. Sure enough, when I finally got there - restaurants lined up, one beside the other . Now, I'd gotten a lovely whiff of curry as I left the house, so fancied an Indian. And so I headed for The Indian Room. Could see it across the Sainsbury's car park, so I took a shortcut that way.

It was practically empty - I took a table inside. And service couldn't have been more attentive - nor could I have asked more of the food! It was light, it was tasty - portions weren't too large, so I'm glad I ordered a few different things. A choice of wines, unusually for an Indian. I noticed they display a number of recent awards in the window.. I'm not surprised. Finished just in time for the short walk to the pub.

In The Bedford, a large room at the back had club-type lighting, and looked like my destination - I ordered a drink at the main bar first, which took some time. Mind you, the queues at the bars in the show area were as bad. By the time I got through to the ticket desk, the ground floor was pretty well full - I got sent upstairs. Decent view, though!


The show started quite late - lasted about two hours, I guess. Our MC for the evening was a past winner:


Now, burlesque can have a tendency to be same-y.. but some acts did add a touch of glamour:


Throughout the night, we had a variety: the traditionalists, the one who used sex toys.. there was one man, doing a sketch based on Matt Hancock! There was a highly erotic act, and one that demonstrated hula hoop skills. I wouldn't have chosen the one that won, but she was inventive, for sure - the only "drag king" of the night, she came on dressed as a music conductor, and her routine was based around music. After the competition proper was over, we got an act based on fire-eating! All good fun, in the end - pity they didn't extend the vote to us upstairs, is all!


Outside afterwards, the streets were full of pubs with people hanging out of them, singing - Balham certainly was buzzing! I shopped there before heading home, realising I wouldn't be in time for the shops back home. And took the Tube again, as it was getting late - we had fun en route when an unattended toddler decided to drag her pushchair off the train when the doors opened! The passenger beside me noticed, and grabbed her, and it, just in time. Just as well I did take the fast option, considering I was no sooner in the door than my mother decided to ring..!

Tomorrow - which is yet another bank holiday, but the last for a while - I'm with Discover London for a walk entitled The Great Plague 1665: The Full Story. Certainly makes a change from the Great Fire.. and another group I don't get to see often enough!

On Tuesday, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit..

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website. Aisle seat, for the legroom - thanks for the advice, Seatplan!

And yes, film on Thursday - and I thought I might finally get to see The Blue CaftanIt's Moroccan, and again showing at what is still, for now, my local cinemaAlthough, checking the listings again, I found a new one - A Crack in the Mountain is a documentary about Hang So'n Doong, the largest cave in the world, which is in Vietnam. Looks gorgeous - but it's only on in the Curzon Wimbledon, at 5.40, which I'd never make in time if I stay at work as long as I should! However, it is on their Home Cinema.. which would also save the fare.. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment