Monday 22 May 2023

An Evening Stroll in Fitzrovia

Today waAn Evening Stroll in Fitzrovia, courtesy of a new group to me, Paul and Tim's Greater London Talks and Walks! So yes, I gave it a go..

Brilliant sunshine as I was setting off - I really lamented the loss of my sunglasses. But as it happened, we ended up mostly in the shade while the sun lasted. As for me, for once, I was just in time for my bus! Bless that driver for seeing me, trying to fight my way through the crowds..

I didn't have time to eat beforehand - we were meeting in Caffe Nero, so that was a hot chocolate appetiser then! Google Maps, of course, thought it was further up than it actually was.. but hey, there was only one Caffe Nero on that street, so I was ok. Got myself a luxury hot chocolate - but I think they've changed the recipe; this wasn't the chocolate I remember. Lordy, why do they always have to meddle with stuff I like? Anyway, I spotted someone I thought I recognised - not from this group, but from some Meetup group or other; we ended up settling downstairs, where there was more space. And in due course, our guide came along - many of us paid him in cash. Unsurprisingly, given that Meetup now charges extra for Paypal payments through the site - the extra goes to them! Meetup are really pumping it from every angle..

Well, in due course, we gathered outside, people gradually joining us. Including one in a wheelchair - great to see a wheelchair-friendly walk. The only part the chair couldn't actually manage was right at the start, at All Saints Church, Margaret Street - and they provided a ramp. Imagine, I lived in the area for a year and had no idea this was here! It's Anglo-Catholic - sort of an Anglican version of Catholicism, it seems. Confessionals, calling the clergy "Father", holding Mass. Never in my life heard of it, I must say! but the church is gorgeous, showcasing a number of different colours of brick, and most ornate:







It was so nostalgic - there were many streets I didn't recognise, but many I did, or whose names were familiar, even if I hadn't come down them before. Later, we even passed my old house!


Famous plaques featured, of course - there was the one of the first published black author, whose story helped to reveal the horrors of slavery:


..and what walk would be complete without Charles Dickens popping up!


I have to say, I was surprised to see a pub named in honour of this guy:


One feature of the walk was attractive architecture - and yet another reminder, always pertinent, to "look up"! Some of the most interesting features are to be found at roof level:


And ah, the Fitzrovia Mural is looking well! I used to pass it all the time:


We kept circling the BT Tower:


and came to the attractive Fitzroy Square:



..repairing, at last, to the Fitzroy Tavern - where I was only once before. On this occasion, mind, we discovered the private saloon, with its own bar access! Also serving food, happily - and while the steak and ale pie isn't quite up to the standard of Greene King's recipe, it is quite moreish, served with lovely, buttery carrots and mash. Pity they don't do sauvignon blanc, is all..



Good chat was had - a lovely group, would be happy to come again!

Tomorrow, The Horror Book Club lately advertised an author event, with two female horror writers, at Waterstone's in Trafalgar Square. Tickets bookable in advance - I checked out one of the books as a free Kindle sample, and liked it, so I said I'd go. Pay extra and you can get a book with your ticket - but only one, and it costs more than both together cost on Kindle! So I passed on that option - if I feel like it, I'll order them on Kindle afterwards.

On Wednesday, thinking film again - and up to last week, it was still looking like The Blue Caftan, which was always near the top of the list. It's Moroccan, and showing at my local cinema - not that either of those film listings websites seemed to think so at the time, so I had to confirm on the cinema's own website! Grr.. But on later inspection, I discovered Shadow of a Doubt, a Hitchcock thriller showing at The Garden Cinema. Not advertised at all on my old cinema website.. had to go to the new one!

On Thursday, I'm back with TAC for a play called The Last of the Pelican Daughters, at The Courtyard.

On Friday, film again - and what limited information I have now suggests I'll be seeing A Plein Temps (Full Time), at my local cinema - at least, they have the most complete listings, for now! Certainly looks good, with a pacey trailer, focusing on real-life stresses of a single mother, working in Paris and battling train strikes! Well, we all know something about that, eh.. Highly subject to change, mind, film listings being what they are!

On Saturday, back at last with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! It's been too long.. This walk is Highlights of Westminster. Now, I wonder whether there'll be any coronation-related material..


Next Monday - which is yet another bank holiday, but the last for a while - I'm with Discover London for a walk entitled The Great Plague 1665: The Full Story. Certainly makes a change from the Great Fire.. and another group I don't get to see often enough!

On the 30th, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit..

And on the 31st, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment