Tuesday 30 May 2023

Play: Dixon and Daughters

Tonight, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit. Unfortunately, was up most of last night working, and grabbed whatever chance I could to sleep this afternoon - was a little groggy by the time I left.

Headed down via GBK, as usual for here, so decided to eat there. It was pretty empty - and a family was heading away as I arrived, the son upset because they weren't eating there, and as the mother said, he'd had his heart set on it.. the waiter then explained to me that the chef would be on break for 20 minutes. I'd set out early though, and wasn't in a rush - so I ordered straight away, and waited my turn. The chef actually returned early, and lo, ever so slightly after 20 minutes later, I was fed! Delicious as ever, too.

Google Maps mistook the bus stop, but I got a bus without problem - there are plenty heading that way. And I just made it to the theatre in good time both to go to the toilet and get a drink, which I took in with me. I was in one of the high seats at the back - "restricted" view meant, in my case, I was beside a pillar that restricted the view out of the corner of my eye, so if I wanted to see the whole stage, I had to lean forward. Hardly a problem. More of a problem were all the people squeezing past me, and me having to hop out of my seat every time..


This time, the trigger warnings were available by QR code! I suppose that avoids people being triggered by the trigger warnings.. so, the play concerns itself with a family of sisters, as we discover in due course. The eldest, who has a daughter of her own in college, is first seen collecting her elderly mother (Brid Brennan) and bringing her home after an extended absence. This is the only daughter she's happy to see - but another has pretty much moved in in the meantime, about whom she has nothing good to say. And there's another woman hanging around, whom the mother doesn't even want mentioned..

As with most family dramas, this has secrets just below the surface. And it isn't hard to put the pieces together when you find out the mother has been in prison, not in hospital, as you might have thought. Apparently, the father's grave has been vandalised. And what's the story of this other woman, that the mother can't even bear to have mentioned..? Oh yes, we have a lot of secrets to uncover. A powerhouse performance from all concerned, in a 90-minute straight-through show. Very well done. Runs till the 10th.

Climbed those stairs onto the bridge to catch the bus back - Lordy, if I had to do that more often, I'd be fitter than I am! As it was, I had to stop to admire the scenery for a moment, halfway.. at the top, had the phenomenon of yet another bus sailing past us, despite several of us having extended our arms, well in advance. I've complained, but this is a real problem here - they really don't seem to want to stop unless they have a passenger that wants to get out! Never mind, there's always another along in a minute, here - such a variety of buses I can catch.

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, by Andrew Lloyd Webber, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website. Aisle seat, for the legroom - thanks for the advice, Seatplan!

Yes, film on Thursday - and I thought I might finally get to see The Blue CaftanIt's Moroccan, and again showing at what is still, for now, my local cinemaAlthough, checking the listings again, I found a new one - A Crack in the Mountain is a documentary about Hang So'n Doong, the largest cave in the world, which is in Vietnam. Looks gorgeous - but it's only on in the Curzon Wimbledon, at 5.40, which I'd never make in time if I stay at work as long as I should! However, it is on their Home Cinema.. which would also save the fare.. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

Monday and next Tuesday, I'm also thinking of film. The film listings aren't helping my decision much, though - so I consulted my local cinema, which was happy to tell me that it's showing Return to Seoul on Monday, which seems the best of the fare that day - for now; The Blue Caftan doesn't seem to be showing next week. It's the story of a young French girl, returning to seek her roots in Korea. Looks engaging.

Next Tuesday, the same cinema's excellent doc house is showing Tina, a documentary about the phenomenon that was the late Tina Turner!

On the 7th, back with UITCS for Bleak Expectations, a Dickens-based comedy, with a different star every week, showing at the Criterion. I think we're getting Julian Clary.. I ended up going up a price band here, the cheap tickets all seemed so restricted!

And on the 8th, back with North London Friends, for the first time in, oh, ages.. we're off to The Park, to see The Shape of Things. Different people from last time, these are some I knew before.

No comments:

Post a Comment