Thursday 25 May 2023

Play: The Last of the Pelican Daughters

Tonight, I was back with TAC for a play called The Last of the Pelican Daughters, at The Courtyard. Looking around the area for somewhere to eat - I hadn't been there in a while - I came across Schnitzel Heaven! Goodness, that sounded interesting - I booked a table, because you never know. And headed off good and early.

Arrived in good time, and by this stage, someone had said she was interested in coming too - so when I was ordering wine, I wisely ordered a bottle. Crispy squid to start, and I decided that the katsu chicken schnitzel sounded interesting. When my companion arrived, she ordered a green salad - and fancied the traditional wiener schnitzel.

Whoof, they do feed you here! The squid was beautifully tender, with a very tangy sauce - and both our schnitzels were huge. They couldn't seem to decide what to do with mine, serving a jug of katsu sauce on the side, but also a slice of lemon and a knob of butter - honestly, I think the butter worked better with it. The katsu was a bit thick, and didn't really go best with it. Having said that, I absolutely loved the schnitzel itself, and would be delighted to come back! The price difference between the "regular" and the "specials" menu, BTW, is explained by the fact that they include sides with the specials. The only complaint my companion had was that she'd chosen her "green" salad for its lower calories - whereas what she got was packed with ingredients it shouldn't have, and dressing! Perhaps a bit too enthusiastic.. but they did happily charge her phone, behind the counter. Great service throughout. Highly recommended - it's a bit north of the Courtyard Theatre, on the other side of Pitfield Street.

A short trot then, via a zebra crossing, to the theatre, where they were just going in. No trouble finding a seat - it wasn't that full. A few of the actors were already in situ:


So, this is the occasion of their late mother's birthday, on which they've gathered to remember her. The lawyer is also due the next day - they have to organise the sale of the house. But this play is more about the interplay among the siblings and their respective partners. The story isn't really anything new - but it's well written, it's funny, and the acting is decent. The action is frequently interspersed with music from the side, as they play songs their mother liked. 90 minutes straight through, and quite enjoyable - you could do worse. Runs till Saturday.

We went for a drink in the bar afterwards, where the actors also gathered once they'd changed, and the music was cool jazz:

Tomorrow, film again - and such information as I have now suggests I'll be seeing A Plein Temps (Full Time), at my local cinema. Certainly looks good, with a pacey trailer, focusing on real-life stresses of a single mother, working in Paris and battling train strikes! Well, we all know something about that, eh.. 

On Saturday, back at last with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old LondonersIt's been too long.. This walk is Highlights of Westminster. Now, I wonder whether there'll be any coronation-related material..


On Monday - which is yet another bank holiday, but the last for a while - I'm with Discover London for a walk entitled The Great Plague 1665: The Full Story. Certainly makes a change from the Great Fire.. and another group I don't get to see often enough!

On Tuesday, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit..

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website. Aisle seat, for the legroom - thanks for the advice, Seatplan!

And yes, film next Thursday - and for now, it's looking like I might finally get to see The Blue Caftan! It's not showing tomorrow evening - but it is coming up for that evening. It's Moroccan, and again showing at my local cinemaThen I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

1 comment:

  1. I am still dreaming of the magnificent schnitzel and fine jazz in the lounge. All evening was a success

    ReplyDelete