Saturday 27 May 2023

Walk: Highlights of Westminster

Ah well, so much for a relaxing weekend - in the wee small hours, the landlord sent us all a message (except, probably, the guy who's moving out next week), giving us notice to quit - he wants his flat back. So we have two months to find another place - took me that long to find this one! Fingers crossed.. it's mad out there.

Today, I was back at last with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old LondonersIt's been too long.. This walk was Highlights of Westminster. Unfortunately, I spent so long looking for flats last night that I missed out on quite a deal of sleep - so it was a groggy start. But, as usual, I managed - and what a beautiful day for it! Funnily enough, I'd have worn a lighter top, but when I put it on this morning, I felt chilly - but what I did wear was probably a bit heavy. Couldn't win - and in particular, I could have left my coat at home. Ah well, again..


Made it to St. James' Park Station quite early - just as well, what with the multiple entrances! Now, Laurence had said to meet at the Broadway entrance - yeah, but Broadway actually curves around the building, so there are technically three Broadway entrances.. the first time I met Mandy, she started from here, and had the same problem, chasing around to make sure no-one was lost! Well, we all seemed to find him - and gee, I met so many people I hadn't seen in ages! We started with the building itself - an imposing edifice:


and, of course, soon found ourselves battling the crowds outside Westminster Abbey:



Mind you, that was better than joining the queue to get in:


and isn't the Palace of Westminster lovely in the sunshine!


I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing Big Ben (yes, I know that's not its official name) without the scaffolding:


Tourist London was buzzing, and looking its best:



For all the crowds, though, I wasn't really expecting a queue to get into a pub!


The horse guards were out, as usual - and as someone remarked, they must have been stifling in those uniforms!


Not sure I ever before noticed this statue of George III! It's rather unassuming, as statues go:


And I got to see the renamed "HIS" Majesty's Theatre, for the first time!


We finished in Piccadilly Circus, with the statue that's turned the wrong way:


My though, it was exhausting, tramping about in the sunshine - it was a relief to get to lunch at last, which was at Henry's again. And we were exceedingly well fed - following which, after some discussion, we ended up in The Market Tavern, down the road a bit. Where good drink and good company were in abundance. Delighted to see folks again! Roll on the next one. I did go to bed for a few hours when I got home, though - I really needed it.

Tomorrow, with CT at The Bedford, for Wicked Wonderland: Burlesque Cabaret. Unusual for me not to be doing a walk on a Sunday - hallelujah, a lie-in!

On Monday - which is yet another bank holiday, but the last for a while - I'm with Discover London for a walk entitled The Great Plague 1665: The Full Story. Certainly makes a change from the Great Fire.. and another group I don't get to see often enough!

On Tuesday, having tried several sold-out shows, I finally plumped for Dixon and Daughters, at the Dorfman. Got the last cheap, restricted-view ticket in the pit..

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last! Well, I couldn't resist a performance of Aspects of Love, with Michael Ball - I've never seen it. Showing at the Lyric - there have been cheap offers, but the best I could find were with the official website. Aisle seat, for the legroom - thanks for the advice, Seatplan!

And yes, film on Thursday - and I thought I might finally get to see The Blue CaftanIt's Moroccan, and again showing at what is still, for now, my local cinema. Although, checking the listings again, I found a new one - A Crack in the Mountain is a documentary about Hang So'n Doong, the largest cave in the world, which is in Vietnam. Looks gorgeous - but it's only on in the Curzon Wimbledon, at 5.40, which I'd never make in time if I stay at work as long as I should! However, it is on their Home Cinema.. which would also save the fare.. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment