Thursday 2 June 2022

Restaurant: Terra Rossa

Last night, back with Civilised London for an Italian meal - this was in Terra Rossa, meeting beforehand in The Crown, as usual. Picked up the keys to my new place beforehand. :-) Oh, it is incredible to have found one at last.. and it'll be lovely to have more space, not to mention a balcony - with the sun streaming in the window, the room was roasting, so I spent my time with the balcony door open (I spent a couple of hours there, getting set up to WiFi and reading the paper).

And I can walk from there to the pub! So I did, and with the glorious sunshine, predictably, when I got there, the others who were meeting there were sat outside in the sun, drinking beer. So I informed them of my good news, then trotted inside for my own cold drink - their excellent house Sauvignon Blanc. Anyway, the chat outside was good, and one of the group, who hadn't been to that pub before, raved about it as we left. True, it's excellent - good food, good wine, friendly staff, and a lovely outdoor seating area, fenced off from the pavement.

And so to the restaurant - and would you believe, I had been there before, and with this group too! despite having absolutely no memory of it. Mind you, on that occasion it seems we were sat down the back, and last night we were at the front of the room.


Red-bound menus, appropriately. As there was an odd number of us - one pulled out, feeling ill - our organiser thoughtfully rearranged the seating so one person wouldn't be stuck on the end. Anyway, I was hungrier than on that last occasion, and managed a starter - some interesting croquettes, with potato and just a hint of mint. For main, the spaghetti with truffle again - which was excellent, as before. They thoughtfully dropped us down dessert menus without us having to ask. And a few of us fancied dessert, so I asked for the lemon sorbet. Interestingly, the waiter (pictured) came to explain to me that the sorbet wasn't quite frozen, and would I mind getting it in liquid form! Eh - ok, and it turned up, fetchingly presented in a champagne flute! and was delicious. So, if you ever get the option, I recommend it.. For once, someone else was on white, so I got to share a bottle - and it was v nice.

So yes, recommended - although they were rushed off their feet, service was pretty quick and unfailingly friendly and helpful. And the food is good. As always, I was in great company - although we didn't head to the pub afterwards. And so, back to my old place for the night - just as well, as it happens, because the cleaner was due at the new place early this morning! When I got home, I checked, and saw that the new film list was out - so started trawling that, got too tired in the middle, and went to bed. Had to get that done before I blogged, hence the delay.

Today, I finally get my postponed meeting with two of my ex-coworkers (one suddenly can't make it, he's dog-sitting) - and after my glowing reports of Bill's on Clink Street, we're heading there! Optional drinks beforehand, I've suggested The Old Thameside Inn. No word from Ivan yet as to when he wants to meet, I'll have to chase him.

Tomorrow - taking advantage of the bank holiday, I booked something that's been heavily advertised. At £60, it's not cheap, but I really fancied it, so I'm headed to The Gunpowder Plot, an immersive, combined VR and real-life experience at the Tower. You can get a themed lunch with that, but I passed. Earliest date now available is the 8th, at a minimum price of £50 (last few available) - the price increases as you get closer to the date. And ironic how these two events are closer to my old place.. So I'm staying there until after this.

And on Saturday, booked with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts again for A Nosey Around Soho. In association with London Guided Walks as usual, a £3 discount for using the code MEETUP3, which at least covers the booking fee. Looks like Hazel herself is running this one - if so, it'll be the first time I'll have seen her in years. Assuming I'm not a couple of minutes late, and miss her. Well, if I do get to go, I hope she doesn't spam me, like she still is after the last one, with constant ads for her podcast and requests for reviews! Of course, if you go on her site, there seems to be no way to leave a review.. AND I see she advertises these on TAC now, with a £3 cash charge on the day to the guide - still, this would be the cheaper option. (and ACLUB also gets you a £3 discount on the full price..)

No comments:

Post a Comment