Tuesday 7 June 2022

Opera: Samson et Delila

For tonight, I figured, well, the boss didn't say anything yesterday, so this dinner was probably not happening this week at all! but certainly not tonight. So that left me free to book the opera of Samson and Dalila, at the Opera House, with London Classical Music and Theatre Group. Got the very last seat in the slips - and this would be my only Meetup of the week. Ironically, the office is only a hop, skip and jump from there, and I initially thought to head in for the first time today - but then I realised I had an early meeting, so I said, perhaps not. And later, the agent contacted me to ask whether I could be in the flat from 4 to 6, so someone could come and inspect the gas - so that was that, then.

Indeed, it turned out that the dinner isn't this week at all - he sent around the poll today, with a choice of dates for next week - Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Last I checked, Wednesday and Thursday were tied in the lead - again, watch this space! Anyway, the gas guy arrived, was fine about the gas, but disparaging about the lack of panelling, and the mould, in the bathroom and toilet, and the loose tile, and missing button on the gas cooker, in the kitchen. He took photos, and was gone in good time for me to finish work in time. Again, I could walk - how central am I! but not in time to get anything major to eat. En route, I passed the Museum Tavern, and considered a quick bite there - but they were crowded and busy, and I decided against it. Nope, I had checked for a Pret near the Opera House, and found one that was open late enough, so I headed there, and as usual had a lovely smoked salmon sandwich, apple juice, and a chocolate "moose", read the paper, and was then just a few minutes' walk from the Opera House.

Passed this interesting-looking place en-route - seems it used to be an escape room! Don't think it's in use any more, I can't find anything current about it online.


And so to the Opera House. I was early, couldn't see anyone I knew around the ticket desk, and decided to position myself beside the interesting model of the Opera House, as a handy landmark. Posted on the event page where I was, and that's where two group members found me - apologies to the one who missed us, I hope it wasn't my fault!

Of those of us who met beforehand, I was seated the highest up.. thank goodness for the lifts. And wouldn't you know it, the couple beside me got their tickets nine months ago! Yes, it's always easier to get singles..


As the couple on my other side remarked, the timings were funny - of the three acts, the two longer ones took place before the interval, the shortest after. But you know something, I really didn't feel the time pass! I was never familiar with this opera, but as soon as I heard it was by Saint-Saens, I knew I was in safe hands - and sure enough, the music is absolutely beautiful. The couple who'd been talking about the timings also mused, during the pause between the first two acts, about where the soldiers in the opera were supposed to be from - Palestine? Well, as they're technically Philistines, I guess that's not a million miles off. 

The choruses of the Hebrew slaves are particularly stunning, and Delila gets one particularly famous aria. And let's not forget the well-received ballet from the celebrating Philistines in the last act, once Samson has been subdued! As to the view from my seat, well, obviously it was somewhat restricted - more by the angle of the stage than by the rail, and Samson was frequently out of view. But most of the action was quite central, and I was fine. The house was pretty full, although as I say, I got my ticket as late as yesterday. Performances until the 19th - highly recommended. And I see Samson and Delila made up in time for the bows at the end!


Tomorrow, headed to The Father and the Assassin, at the National. Based on the story of the man who murdered Ghandhi, this is supposed to be excellent, from reports I've heard! I was actually originally booked to go to this last Wednesday, but then of course, Civilised London advertised a dinner, and I changed my plans! Happily, the National lets you exchange tickets for credit, so I used mine to rebook for tomorrow. Now, the new office is a hop skip and jump from there, so it would make sense to head in tomorrow. But then it occurred to me that if I did, it wouldn't be as easy to head back to my old place to rescue my remaining stuff - think I'll do that instead. Besides, it's now run a bit late to be up early to get into the office! Not that it doesn't always..

On Thursday, heading to Britannicus at the Lyric Hammersmith (and damned if CT doesn't now have tickets for this!). A political thriller, set in modern-day Rome. Might make my initial office trip that day, it'd shorten the journey.

Then back to Ireland for the weekend. And with a couple of films showing that I'd be interested in seeing, both equally highly rated, the one I'm more interested in is a horror film called Men, in which Jessie Buckley decides to take a trip on her own through the English countryside, following her ex-husband's suicide. She rents a country manor from an odd chap, played by Rory Kinnear - and he ain't the only odd man she meets! England can be a rich trove of horror stories - certainly, the books are hardcore. Let's hope the film is as well. Written and directed by Alex Garland, who has an impressive pedigree as a writer. Has a slightly earlier showing in the Omniplex, so I'll think about heading there.

On Monday, I've booked for Tony! The Tony Blair Musical, at the Park Theatre.

Next Tuesday, booked for Girl on an Altar, at the Kiln Theatre. This is the story of Clytemnestra and her husband, Agamemnon, following his sacrifice of their daughter to the gods.

On the 15th, I'm going to a concert in the City Churches Music series. This is Brilliant Brass, performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Brass Quintet in the church of St. Stephen Walbrook. I got my ticket from CT, though, and would rather not blot my copybook with them by cancelling - they're very picky about that sort of thing.

On the 16th, headed to Mad House at the Ambassadors Theatre. Unless I'm not..

On the 17th, back with the Crick Crack Club! for The Nine Muses of Queen's Crescent, at Rich Mix. Courtesy of my favourite storyteller, Clare Murphy, whom I haven't seen in an age!

On the 18th, I had booked with TAC for Haydn's Creation at St. Pancras Church, Euston. And then I saw that Bucket List London had booked something for that afternoon! specifically, a trip to Greenwich Royal Observatory and/or the Ranger's House. Ah well now, I haven't been out with this group since January! Ironically, that's where I first met Laurence, on so many of whose walks I've subsequently been - and who knows when I'll see him again?! since he seems only to run walks on weekdays, now. I seem to be swapping one for the other.. So anyway, I'm now going to all of the above. One of those busy days.

On the 19th, back with London Guided Walks - but, armed with the information that they now advertise through TAC, I've booked through them instead! This is the Secrets of St. James Walk, and given how I booked, I must remember to bring £3 cash on the day. I have to admit, the standard of these walks is excellent.

On the 20th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Jitney, at The Old Vic. I didn't fancy the cheapest seats - but gee, SFF had seats in all but the most expensive price bands, for very little more! So I now find myself in the central Stalls for this..

And on the 21st, I'm at the Royal Court for That Is Not Who I Am, a play about identity theft, from a mysterious writer about whom we have few details, except that he has worked most of his life in the security industry. Ooh..

No comments:

Post a Comment