Monday 30 May 2022

Film: An Cailín Ciúin (The Quiet Girl)

I felt like film again today. What came top of the list was The Quiet Girl, ironically - an Irish film, mostly in the Irish language, in which a little girl from a dysfunctional family is fostered out to another (Carrie Crowley, famous to us in Ireland from years of TV work, plays the foster mother, cousin of the girl's actual mother; Michael Patric plays her father). Was supposed to be really good - the little girl is played by Catherine Clinch, whose first film it is, and who won an IFTA for her performance. First feature film for the writer / director, too. Closest showing to me was in the Curzon Bloomsbury.

Got the bus there - had a good choice of them - and remarked to myself, as we came into Holborn, how much nicer it's going to be to live there - leafier, more restaurants, people a bit more relaxed. My new place is under 10 minutes' walk from the cinema I was in tonight - which might make it my closest, but I'll have to check. Meantime, I got absolutely soaked on the walk from the bus to the cinema! Dripped into the lobby, where the guy asked whether I had membership (it entitles you to some free films). No, but you know what, it might be an idea.. I'll have to see whether it's worth my while. For this evening, I went on something of a shopping spree - a ticket for the film (which was nearly sold out, I was lucky!), a tub of what turned out to be very moreish (chocolate-covered) honeycomb bites, and a lovely glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. The screen was open already, so I went straight in - and wouldn't you know it, the only two people there were at the edge of my row, and I had to disturb them to get in. That done, I tucked into my stash - and that decently large tub lasted most of the film!

So, for those of us who grew up in rural Ireland, this is a real nostalgia-fest. It looks very 70s or early 80s - and if the clothes don't completely confirm that, the cars definitely should.. or you can wait for the dead giveaway, when they're shown watching Quicksilver on the telly! (That ended in 1981.) A chamber-pot under the bed, no mobiles, no electronic gadgets, and by and large the loudest thing in a room is the ticking clock.

Young Cáit is growing up in this world. Unfortunately, her large family isn't the most supportive, and she turns into a troubled young girl, always running off. Her beleagured mother is constantly pregnant, too busy to be bothered with her; and with never enough to make ends meet, and another baby on the way, packs Cáit off for the summer to her cousins - a middle-aged couple who live in a large farmhouse on their own. You'd be amazed at the difference a little care and attention makes..

So, no wonder she's quiet. They do say that 90% of communication is non-verbal, and I can see why she won an award for this - she has a terrifically communicative face. I love films that can do without dialogue - for all that most of the dialogue here is in Irish, there's precious little dialogue anyway, so much being told in images. Visually striking, and unexpectedly moving: highly recommended. And the rain had stopped when I got out! The bus back took an interesting detour, for entertainment..

Tomorrow, attending an online talk by Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex. They're starting a Short Story Tuesdays series, where the host reads a short story by a selected author (fee £3) - and this week's author is Graham Greene. We weren't sent the link until this evening.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London for an Italian meal - this is in Terra Rossa, meeting beforehand in The Crown, as usual. Picking up the keys to my new place beforehand. :-) And I can walk from there to the pub!

On Thursday, I finally get my postponed meeting with my ex-coworkers - and after my glowing reports of Bill's on Clink Street, we're heading there! Optional drinks beforehand, I've suggested The Old Thameside Inn.

On Friday - taking advantage of the bank holiday, I booked something that's been heavily advertised. At £60, it's not cheap, but I really fancied it, so I'm headed to The Gunpowder Plot, an immersive, combined VR and real-life experience at the Tower. You can get a themed lunch with that, but I passed. Earliest date now available is the 8th, at a minimum price of £50 (last few available) - the price increases as you get closer to the date. And ironic how these two events are closer to my old place.. So I'll stay there until after this.

And on Saturday, booked with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts again for A Nosey Around Soho. In association with London Guided Walks as usual, a £3 discount for using the code MEETUP3, which at least covers the booking fee. Looks like Hazel herself is running this one - if so, it'll be the first time I'll have seen her in years. Assuming I'm not a couple of minutes late, and miss her. Well, if I do get to go, I hope she doesn't spam me, like she did after the last one, with constant ads for her podcast and requests for reviews! Of course, if you go on her site, there seems to be no way to leave a review.. AND I see she advertises these on TAC now, with a £3 cash charge on the day to the guide - still, this would be the cheaper option. (and ACLUB also gets you a £3 discount on the full price..)

No comments:

Post a Comment