Sunday 8 May 2022

Storytelling: The Origins of Life and Death

Today, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC). This was The Origins of Life and Death, with Jan Blake, at the British Museum, which I missed in January. Limited availability, as they had socially distanced seating. Took me some time (as always, with the British Museum) to dig out the booking confirmation though - I booked this back in January, it turns out!

Wow, was I lucky with buses today - each time I wanted one, it appeared as if by magic! Anyway, I took myself in a bit early, to snatch a look at my new office, which is close by:


Ah now, if only I had a flat to match.. just sent off another enquiry, to an ad that was just posted: fingers crossed!

And so on to the museum, and treated myself to a very welcome cone from the ice cream van parked outside - still early, so I did one of my favourite things there, and browsed in the shop. Books this time, and one in particular caught my eye - Queens of Jerusalem, something I have a particular interest in! So I went off - naturally - and ordered it on Kindle. Cheaper, lighter to carry, easier to store. And by that stage, it was about time to go in. So I did.


We started a bit late. Jan was accompanied by a percussionist with a singing bowl - they had a bongo drum each, and he had some kind of stringed instrument, but all he did was drum his fingers on the back of it.

Ah, this is soul food. Jan had a succession of traditional stories for us, each with a theme of death - but as usual, not content to have us listen passively, she had us ululating, singing.. and participating in a discussion about who made the right decision in one story. She welcomed audience participation - and the rhythm of the drumming was truly hypnotic. During the discussion, she emphasised how she had been brought up, from a very young age, to accept the inevitability of death - which made it easier for her when her mother passed away. And then a man in the audience burst into a traditional song.. entranced, she had us applaud him when he was finished, and swore she was going to steal that song from him for the performance! So, another lovely Sunday afternoon with the CCC - the last until autumn now, it seems.

And so off for food, and back to The Museum Tavern, just outside the gate, which I hadn't been to in so long! It was pretty busy, but I grabbed a table down the back, and it wasn't long at all before the friendly waiter took my drink order, and when she came back with it, I gave my food order. I wanted roast half chicken - she suggested I go for the actual Sunday roast, which comes with more veg. So I did! although I could have done without the Yorkshire pudding - and although I wanted the BBQ sauce with the half chicken, I think I just got regular gravy with the Sunday roast. But it was lovely actually - the first Sunday roast I'd had in years - lovely and crispy.

For dessert, I fancied the "luxury hot chocolate" - she was sorry to have to tell me that it wasn't done any more, but I could have the regular. Naw, I tried the chocolate cake - which was nothing to write home about, and also slightly stale. The strip of salted caramel running through it was nice, though. And the scoop of ice cream I had with it was lovely.

I thought my eyesight was playing tricks on me - but when I looked properly, yes, there was movement at the edge of my vision; a little mouse was running along the bottom of the cupboards near the sink where they give the dishes a preliminary wash before sending them back to the kitchen. I had a quiet word with her about that before I left.. wonder what they do when one is discovered, hours before closing! Cross their fingers..?

Tomorrow, I'm headed to a film - Everything Everywhere All at Once is a Chinese English-language comedy about a woman travelling through multiple alternate realities. Jamie Lee Curtis shows up too. Nearest showing to me is in Hackney Picturehouse, and I've booked because it's booking heavily.

On Tuesday, I had what was probably my last event rescheduled because of Covid - I was  headed to the postponed Tarot, at Soho Theatre. Wow, it's over two years since I was there last.. (and now TAC have tickets, blast.) But then it was cancelled, and now I'm headed - with TAC - to Death and the Maiden at The Tower Theatre.

On Wednesday, back with TAC - for another operatic evening at Hoxton HallNational Opera Studio is presenting Mozart: Secrets and Seduction. (So much for Meetup being busy on Wednesdays!)

On Thursday, my only Meetup of the week - I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats, to see a performance of As You Like It at Wilton's. Went for a slightly more expensive seat than usual, this time - I'm sick of straining my neck.

Then back to Ireland for the weekend - would you believe it, I've exhausted the films showing locally that I'm interested in! So it'll be a quiet one.

On the 16th, headed to Middle, at the National.

On the 17th, back with Civilised London for a meal at last - this one is at Mestizo (Mexican). Not usually my favourite, but I'll give it a shot. Meeting beforehand at the Crown & Anchor.

On the 18th - well, I saw on Meetup that a group called Get a Tech Developer Job has a free webinar, Learn Web Scraping with Python! Now, we're expected to use Python in my new job, and I never have - so this could be very handy indeed.

On the 19th, I'm headed to the CCC again, for Astray, at Rich Mix. A storytelling double bill, both Irish ladies telling Irish myths!

On the 20th, headed to Marys Seacole, at Donmar Warehouse. Based on a true story. I've heard mixed reviews - we shall see.

And on the 21st - well Lordy, I've booked for the Roman London Walk, with Walk About London (also advertised on Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts - both linked to London Guided Walks). Now, I missed the last two I was booked on with this company - third time lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment