Sunday 1 May 2022

Film: Downton Abbey - A New Era

For this afternoon, it was the much-advertised Downton Abbey: A New Era. Like the tv series, the films focus on an aristocratic English family: Dame Maggie Smith as the dowager Countess, Hugh Bonneville as the Earl, Brendan Coyle as his valet, Laura Carmichael as one of his daughters, Jim Carter as the butler, Penelope Wilton as a cousin, and friend of the dowager Countess, whose son is heir to the earldom, as the Earl and Countess have no sons. I was never a fan of the tv series, and didn't see the first film, but hey, it promised to be watchable. In this one, a film crew arrives at the stately home - the real-life Highclere Castle - while about half the family decamp to a villa in the south of France, which was bequeathed to the Dowager Countess, and which they never knew about!

I could park freely a bit closer today - free parking on Sundays - which was nice! And came to the cinema a different way, as I had an errand to run first.



Made the cinema good and early. I'd seen some seats booked online, but not nearly as many as that actually showed up! Last-minute change of mind?

Grand sweeping shots of architecture (the castle / abbey and the villa), grand sweeping shots of landscapes (the shot of the Med was particularly appealing), lovely costumes. We get some lovely weather, courtesy of this new villa location, and some terrific costumes from the film-within-a-film as well, given that it's set during the Belle Époque. And do you know, this is much better than it has a right to be. The Dowager Countess, as usual, nicks the best lines, but provides a much-loved centrepiece to the family, and some touching scenes. Yes, the plot is fairly predictable - but it's not taxing, the intended audience doesn't care, and there's still room for fun. Yep, I liked it, regular fans will love it. Glad I went - although I'm pretty sure I'll never be a major fan.

Afterwards, I fancied The Grove, next door to Jade Cottage, for dinner - but wouldn't you know it, it was completely full! And so, back to Jade Cottage - and I wasn't the only overflow from The Grove, I daresay, given how busy they were! So, for once they were unable to seat me out of anyone's view.


I got the smiley waitress again - we kind of joked over whether I wanted to taste the wine, as she recognised me and I've had it twice before. She didn't bother with an ice bucket this time, mind. Anyway, same starter - which was lovely - and this time, last choice on the menu that suited, I decided to try kung po chicken. Which I have to say, came out best on the menu for me. Tasty, not too spicy, and not too filling. Lots of peanuts, which I don't remember seeing in kung po before - but it worked! And I had room for dessert. Yep, I have found my preferred dish here at last.

Back to London tomorrow, and on Tuesday, a revamped version of Oklahoma at the Young Vic! They sent the ticket today, by email.

On Wednesday (Star Wars Day - May the fourth be with you), I'm at last back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Ah, it's been too long.. someone suggested that I skip off work for a couple of hours during the day to go on the walks, but seriously, every time I checked when his walks were, I had a meeting that clashed! So, not an option. Anyway, this is the Cool Camden Pub Walk! It was actually rescheduled - was originally supposed to happen last Wednesday. Unfortunately, this Wednesday, it clashes with a couple of other things - a Civilised London (CL) meal I was actually booked on (happily, he gave me a refund of my deposit), and leaving drinks for my favourite ex-boss from my last company. Tarnation. Well, can't be helped - this is a pub tour I really want to go on. I was originally booked for an online talk that night - Fight Them on the Beaches is a talk about the greatest speeches in parliament. Courtesy of Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex. But they record the talks, so I can catch it afterwards. True, isn't it - everything happens on Wednesdays!

On Thursday, I'm off to Scandaltown, at the Lyric. Yet another play by the prolific Mike Bartlett, this is a revamped Restoration comedy, set in modern-day, debauched London. As always, love his stuff and am really looking forward to this. But wouldn't you know it, now CT has tickets.. ah well..

Just as well I had Friday free when another ex-boss, Ivan, asked when we could do drinks again! He also suggested we try to find somewhere quieter than the last place - not an easy ask, for a central venue on a Friday night. Ah, but I have contacts.. the organiser of CL once recommended to me a pub just off Charing Cross Road, which he knows as quieter than the usual - I couldn't remember the name, but he reminded me it's the Round Table. I'd have booked, but they seem not to take bookings on Friday evenings. Our ex-colleague is coming, and for the first time, my aforementioned ex-boss from my last company! Should be cool.

On Saturday, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's a walk called Red Lights, Rabble Rousers & RocknRollers, around Soho. And Helen is coming up for it! So, a highly sociable week!

And next Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club. This is The Origins of Life and Death, with Jan Blake, at the British Museum, which I missed in January. Limited availability at time of writing, as they have socially distanced seating.

No comments:

Post a Comment