Friday 8 May 2020

Play: Antony and Cleopatra

Today was a bank holiday (VE Day) - so I needed something to do, on principle. And I was thinking I'd follow Up in the Cheap Seats' (UITCS) lead from earlier in the week, and have a look at a livestreamed Showstopper! show, filmed in the Lyric a month ago without an audience (!), now available on Facebook..

..and then they advertised Antony and Cleopatra, screened by the National Theatre from last night, as it happens, for a week. Starring Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okenedo. Now, that sounded interesting.. so that's what I watched. Eventually, once there was a gap in good tv programmes.

Oh dear. See, it's very, very long. Now, I've seen longer - including longer by Shakespeare, who also wrote this. But if it's compelling enough, you don't notice the length. Now, this is really well done - the acting is excellent, done in modern dress, as usual. Antony starts off in holiday mode - flowery shirt, expansive trousers - hanging out in Alexandria with Cleo, who spends almost all the play dressed in a variety of fabulous outfits in white. He then gets called back to Rome - for a brief period, there are a lot of meetings in military uniform, then it gets into the battles. The National's rotating stage served well to switch action between Alexandria and Rome.

But as I say, it's oh so long. And I fell asleep. I did catch mention of Antony marrying Octavia, then the next thing I knew, Cleo was pretending she'd killed herself and it all went to pot. Their lives, not the play. I do acknowledge that I missed an awful lot of stuff in the middle, but even trying to watch it again, I kept finding myself scurrying to the next bit. It is good, but as with many good plays, you could chop a lot of it. Hey ho. Kudos to them for using a real snake for her suicide, though!

I'll probably catch up with another episode of Planet Earth tomorrow - next up is Shallow Seas.

On Sunday, back with UITCS - conveniently, an afternoon Meetup, where we're back watching an Andrew Lloyd Webber offering. This time, it's By Jeeves. The discussion afterwards will be on Jitsi, though - so I'll have to position myself closer to the router, as I had terrible trouble with this before.

Monday sees London Literary Walks' next quiz.

And on the 16th, I'm back with UITCS for The Midnight Gang Musical, from Chichester Festival Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment