Friday 15 May 2020

Film: The Drummer and the Keeper

I wasn't sure I'd keep watching telly tonight - I was up early (it's been a helluva week for meetings), and there wasn't anything on the listings that grabbed my attention. But hey, I kept flicking around, and decided to give tonight's film a go - which was one I hadn't heard of: The Drummer and the Keeper.

Turned out to be an Irish offering - now, these can be quite good, or quite twee; I said I'd stick with it for a few minutes to see which it might be. The drummer of the title - Dermot Murphy - also played Bob Geldof in Bohemian Rhapsody, it turns out, and is a drummer in real life. Just as well, considering that he has to play the drums in several scenes! Anyway, when we meet him, at the start, he's a bit of a mess - he's bipolar and not managing, and his psychiatrist recommends physical therapy. So he joins a football team for patients with psychological disorders - only to have a 17-year-old with Asperger's (who plays in goal) attach himself to him. They form an unlikely friendship..

It didn't sound the most attractive of storylines, and I wouldn't have kept watching - if the kid with Asperger's hadn't been so damn funny! Beautifully written script, which he pulls off perfectly. And of course, it's the humour that wins over the volatile, moody drummer. So I watched it right through - and discovered it to be unexpectedly entertaining, and unexpectedly moving, as each finds in the other the key to healing himself. The unconventional plot prevents it from getting boring, and I was very glad I'd watched. Recommended, if you get the chance! Kudos to them.

Tomorrow, I was supposed to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for The Midnight Gang Musical, from Chichester Festival Theatre. But isn't it a good job it was free.. because another UITCS group is meeting at the same time to see this week's Andrew Lloyd Webber offering. Which is.. Cats! Starring Elaine Paige and Sir John Mills. I've always, always wanted to see this show, so cancelled the other. Available from this evening for 24 hours in the UK - 48 hours everywhere else, interestingly! And hopefully, for the videoconferencing, Jitsi will work - third time lucky..?

Early on Sunday afternoon, UITCS are seeing - ooh - Andrew Scott, in Sea Wall. Wouldn't you know it, this is the one - written specifically for him - that I missed, back in 2018! By minutes! Because of moving into my new flat, and I'd bought an expensive ticket 'n' all. Two minutes over, and they wouldn't let me into the Old Vic, and had nowhere for me to watch on screen. Another I finally get to see.. and am really looking forward to.

Later that afternoon, London Social Detours (LSD) has an online game of hangman! Well-known play or book titles, which we have to suggest.. I'll have to get thinking!

Monday, of course, sees another round of the London Literary Walks quiz.

And on the 23rd, back with LSD for an NPG talk on Richard III.. specifically, on what a famous portrait of him can tell us about his true character..

No comments:

Post a Comment