Saturday 2 May 2020

PIVC 2020 & Murder Mystery: Murder at the Manor

Had to be awake today in time for a Paranormal Investigator Virtual Conference! Organised by Spooky London, it was on all day - the organiser hadn't heard from me since lockdown started, and was good enough to enquire after my health; as I explained to him, I couldn't make the whole thing, but would dial in when I could.

And I did! It was on YouTube, also Facebook - each talk roughly an hour long, and separated from the next by half an hour. First up was a guy describing his epiphany as a ghost hunter in Arizona, where he first experienced the events that made him a believer. And I tell you this - he's put me off ghost hunting for life! Awesome stories, though - and who would have thought that Arizona was so haunted?! Check out the Jerome Grand Hotel, as well as Tombstone (appropriately) to relive the experience. Think I'll skip that, myself - although I enjoyed hearing about them. Very entertaining talk too, with a good deal of humour.

Next (partly watched while I walked the dog, who didn't seem to mind) was one about the nature of poltergeists, also touching on the themes of subjective analysis of the paranormal, and comparison of different types of paranormal phenomena. V interesting, and he's written a book on the subject.

I missed most of the rest, but they were recorded, and are still available. Unfortunately, it clashed with my afternoon's other activity.. London Social Detours was doing an online murder mystery, where everyone chose a character and (optionally) dressed up. Small fee. We were sent scripts.. And I was chosen to be Sierra Tango, police constable! Seems it'd booked heavily, and that was all that was left. Fine by me. Got myself a character image and background - neither of which worked, as the light was wrong for a virtual background, and it wouldn't let me split my screen. Hey-ho.

The event itself was great fun, and also rather an education on Zoom, with me learning (theoretically) how to add an image or a background, as well as how to switch to gallery view, and what that meant. Don't think it'll catch on for our company-wide Zoom meetings, mind! Anyway - what with hilarious back stories, and unintentional hilarity from people not hearing their names called to ask, or answer, questions (not to mention those who couldn't find the copies they'd printed out) - it was a riotous way to spend an afternoon. And I returned to PIVC in the evening, briefly. 

Tomorrow - middle of the day, for once - Up in the Cheap Seats is watching this weekend's offering by Andrew Lloyd Webber. This time, it's his 50th birthday concert, featuring a famous cast singing his most famous numbers at the Albert Hall. And I can join them, for once, which will be lovely.

That evening, they're back with Hampstead Theatre for The Arrest of Ai Weiwei. I was thinking of watching it too - but it didn't take me long to realise I'd seen it before! Seven years ago.. my first time ever there, in fact! I think this is the last of their online broadcasts, sadly - available until 10pm that day. I guess they expected to be open again, after that.

Now, Friday is a bank holiday (VE Day) - so I'll need something to do that day as well. And I was thinking I'd follow their lead from earlier in the week, and have a look at a livestreamed Showstopper! show, filmed in the Lyric a month ago without an audience (!), now available on Facebook..

..and then they advertised Antony and Cleopatra, screened by the National Theatre from that day. Starring Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okenedo. Now, that does sound interesting..

No comments:

Post a Comment