Thursday 21 May 2020

Concert: Scouting for Girls

We've been given another round of the London Literary Walks quiz - well actually, its companion quiz. Which I've about half answered - still haven't had a look to see whether I can figure out any more. Meantime, having a so-so choice on the tv this evening, I had a peek at what had been going on in Meetup. And so it was that I saw that Up in the Cheap Seats were watching a performance by Scouting for Girls. D'you know, I wasn't the slightest bit familiar with them - but said I'd give them a go. Goodness knows, it wasn't a long performance, anyway!

So, it seems they had been supposed to play the Royal Albert Hall, and were now doing a brief online performance instead. Each in their respective homes. Not exactly a simultaneous performance, mind - from what I could see, it is just the one of them really playing music, in a very well-equipped room - lots of instruments, a couple of which he plays. There's almost half an hour of music - the other 10 minutes or so is given over to dedications.

So - yeah, they're good. I'm never going to be a massive fan, but there are worse ways to pass a half hour or so. A couple of the pieces, I recognised - and the guy can both sing and play. And is decent to look at. And the songs are good. Better than most of the dross out there. Yes - recommended. And they have details of how to donate to the Albert Hall, by text from a UK number. Horrible to think that such an iconic venue could be in trouble - and they're not the only ones.

And on Saturday, back with London Social Detours for an NPG talk on Richard III.. specifically, on what a famous portrait of him can tell us about his true character..

No comments:

Post a Comment