Wednesday 11 March 2020

Pubs: The Rising Sun & Butcher's Hook & Cleaver

Tonight, I was supposed to be back at Soho Theatre. This time, it was Sara Barron's show, Enemies Closer. It was a late start.. but then, I was kidnapped :-) by a co-worker who, after two strenuous days of planning, was headed to the pub. With others. So I said, well, I have time..

So, off I went. We stood outside The Rising Sun for a couple - it was windy, but not terribly cold. And I informed them how it's - you know - haunted. Which had nothing to do with our moving to another pub, down the way - no indeed, 'twas more to do with the quality of the beer. I couldn't testify myself, I'm a wine drinker. Anyway, off we headed to the Butcher's Hook & Cleaver, just down the road. Where we spent a convivial time. I heard unencouraging stories of a previous Christmas party, when they hadn't been provided with sufficient food.. but for our drinks, 'twas sufficient. And frankly, much better to hang out with colleagues and get to know them a bit better, than to head to see a comedian I hadn't ever heard of before. No, I had a good night - may there be many more.



Tomorrow, back with This & That (not for ages, then twice in one week!). This time, it's a pre-Paddy's Day concert with the Band of the Irish Guards, at the Guards' Chapel. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, back at Soho Theatre again - this time, for the opening night of Tom Rosenthal's show, Manhood.

Tuesday is, of course, Paddy's Day itself - and like last year, I'm off to the Irish Centre in Camden. And again, they have a St. Patrick's Night Special - I've already booked my ticket. Dunno whether anyone will join me, but hey.

Next Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Be More Chill, at The Other Palace. My only Meetup that week!

The 19th is going to be hugely busy for me. So, first I'm at Soho Theatre for Jena Friedman's show, Miscarriage of Justice. And then, wouldn't you know it, The Embers Collective scheduled a series of shows at the Vault Festival. And blast it if I wasn't already booked for the whole week! But hey, with the comedy show finishing at 8.30.. and the storytelling not starting till 10.. this one was doable! Their show that night is Queerstory - LGBTQ+ - themed. And I'm going.

On the 20th, finally getting to see Dear Evan Hanson, at the Noel Coward Theatre. It got the royal seal of approval during the week, of course! And it's about time I saw it - UITCS went last year.

On the 21st, a proper social at last from my last company, woo-hoo! We now have 5 (possibly 6) confirmations for a dinner at my current favourite Italian - Amarcord Museum. The place with the chocolate mousse cake to die for.. I've booked, on the assumption that I won't get any more takers. And that laying a space for 6 is much the same as laying a space for 5. And I've asked specially for the chocolate cake..

On the 22nd, heading to the last night of a classical spectacular at the Albert Hall. Popular classical tunes, complete with lightshow - sure to be a crowd-pleaser!

On the 23rd, back with UITCS for Far Away, at Donmar Warehouse. Unfortunately, I'm now hearing really bad reviews of this - ah well. Not surprised, given that it's by Caryl Churchill, who also wrote A Number. Which I didn't rate highly.

On the 24th, seeing The Dumb Waiter, by Harold Pinter, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 25th, back with UITCS for Clybourne Park, at the Park Theatre.

On the 26th, back with them again - for the opening night of a Ballet Black Mixed Bill, at the Barbican, for once! Much handier for me. Interestingly, no fewer than three Meetup groups are going to the same thing - but UITCS advertised it first, and I've booked with them and will not be repeating the chaos of multiple bookings that I tried previously. One in particular, Love London Theatre Arts Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) - which has a habit of booking the same thing on the same night as UITCS - has introduced a new rule that you can't book with them if you've booked with someone else as well. Well gee, no problem - wasn't going to anyway. Not really the way to increase your group's attendance, if you ask me. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 30th, ironically, I'm with LLTAMS for something that they're the only ones to advertise! It's a classical concert of religious music at Queen Elizabeth Hall, and should be lovely.

On the 31st, back at the Barbican for It's True, It's True, It's True. Dramatisation of a 17th-Century rape trial.

On the 1st, I find myself with London Science & Geek Chic Socials! We're off to a talk at the Star & Garter (Greenwich), entitled Greenwich Skeptics: A Magician Among the Spirits, which describes the confrontational relationship between magicians and psychics - the name is taken from a book by Houdini.

On the 2nd, back with UITCS at the Barbican - this time, it's the opening night of Orlando.

And on the 3rd, back with them again for Last Easter, at the Orange Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment