Sunday 8 March 2020

Concert: Some Kinda Wonderful

Today, I was thinking of film - got the film list done on Wednesday, then wasn't too pushed about what was coming out on top. Not that it was easy to get the listings, mind - my film site has a new look, still apparently gets the new listings on Tuesday evenings, but now doesn't seem to list the times for the following week along with the new films! So I can see what's on, just not where or when. I managed to Google a couple, which had their own websites, and from those I determined that they're not showing on days that'd suit. Others, I wasn't so lucky with, and just had to guess on the basis of the cinemas in which they were showing currently, whose websites I then had to check.

Anyway, the upshot was that I thought Meetup had better suggestions. So tonight I joined North London Friends for a concert called Some Kinda Wonderful - a tribute to Stevie Wonder. Run by the Chickenshed. Unfortunately, it was all the way out in Cockfosters - ah well. I was determined not to spend all day up there!

And I didn't - although I did head to The Upper Crust for brunch again - which I had hot, for once (because I could), and which was lovely. Then back home, where I got stuff done (and my phone charged) - before heading out again, in time to grab a bite to eat up there. Because I figured a baguette wouldn't do me for the whole day.. and on the map, I spotted a Prezzo, just up from the venue. A long, long journey it was - over an hour in total, even by Tube, and the frequent stoppages didn't help. All the way out to Zone 5 - I dozed a little on the way. But the sun was out by the time I got there.

A difficult road to cross - I should have crossed via the subway from the station. I nipped across eventually, and entered the Prezzo, where I was quickly seated by a maitre-d' with a most morose expression. Service wasn't exactly nippy - I had to catch his eye to get my order taken. But the food was well worth waiting for! What an improvement on yesterday. Everything was gorgeous - the garlic bread, the spaghetti carbonara, the carafe of chenin blanc. I really shouldn't have had dessert - I was due to meet the group at 7, and it'd take 10 minutes or so to walk there - but with everything else so great, I had to.. and yes, the smashed honeycomb cheesecake was well worth the delay. I doubt I'll be up this way again in a hurry, but if I am, I am DEFINITELY eating here.

And so to the Chickenshed. I collected my ticket at the box office, then scoured the lobby for the group - eventually caught sight of them, but there weren't enough chairs for everyone, so we stood. I might have had a drink, but I was too stuffed from dinner! It was soon time for us to go in - I was the only one from the group with a gallery seat, and as I made for the stairs, the lady in the box office hailed me. Seems I was the only one to book a ticket on that side of the gallery - so they decided to upgrade me! Lovely - I was in the rear stalls.


It seems that this venue has a regular jazz programme - and tonight's performers were top-notch. I'm not a huge Stevie Wonder fan - was familiar with most, but certainly not all, of the numbers. But wow, they gave it socks. And as the night wore on, the crowd got more and more lively, until the dancefloor in front of the stage was filled with people enthusiastically jiving, with the band's encouragement. With performers this good - particular mention must go to the singer, Noel McCalla - it's no surprise that most of the audience were on their feet by the end. Terrific show, delighted I made the trek.

I'm not with this group very often, and to be honest, there wasn't much to chat about with them - I decided to spend the interval in my own company. But I did appreciate the lift back to the station, close though it was. Hey, it was offered..

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for City of Angels at the Garrick. Funny thing is, I was recently looking ahead for shows to book, and this came up - was on the point of booking for it, busily looking for deals, when I suddenly realised I'd already booked! The perils of booking early.. I booked this the day after Christmas. It'll be nice to be back among people I'm friendlier with.

On Tuesday, whoop-de-doo! Finally got a decently priced, decently located ticket to the show of the moment, Hamilton! Showing at the Victoria Palace, booking through Ticketmaster exclusively. Booked the same day as City of Angels - I often block book. So I get to see whether it lives up to the hype - I'm just delighted to be able to stop searching for tickets for it! Must just remember to bring the ticket to the office with me - they insisted on posting it.

On Wednesday, back at Soho Theatre (hopefully - at least the show is later than Tuesday's, which I missed!). This time, it's Sara Barron's show, Enemies Closer.

On Thursday, back with This & That (not for ages, then twice in one week!). This time, it's a pre-Paddy's Day concert with the Band of the Irish Guards, at the Guards' Chapel. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 16th, back at Soho Theatre again - this time, for the opening night of Tom Rosenthal's show, Manhood.

The 17th is, of course, Paddy's Day itself - and like last year, I'm off to the Irish Centre in Camden. And again, they have a St. Patrick's Night Special - I've already booked my ticket. Dunno whether anyone will join me, but hey.

On the 18th, back with UITCS for Be More Chill, at The Other Palace. My only Meetup that week!

The 19th is going to be hugely busy for me. So, first I'm at Soho Theatre for Jena Friedman's show, Miscarriage of Justice. And then, wouldn't you know it, The Embers Collective scheduled a series of shows at the Vault Festival. And blast it if I wasn't already booked for the whole week! But hey, with the comedy show finishing at 8.30.. and the storytelling not starting till 10.. this one was doable! Their show that night is Queerstory - LGBTQ+ - themed. And I'm going.

On the 20th, finally getting to see Dear Evan Hanson, at the Noel Coward Theatre. It got the royal seal of approval during the week, of course! And it's about time I saw it - UITCS went last year.

On the 21st, a proper social at last from my last company, woo-hoo! We now have 5 (possibly 6) confirmations for a dinner at my current favourite Italian - Amarcord Museum. The place with the chocolate mousse cake to die for.. I've booked, on the assumption that I won't get any more takers. And that laying a space for 6 is much the same as laying a space for 5. And I've asked specially for the chocolate cake..

On the 22nd, heading to the last night of a classical spectacular at the Albert Hall. Popular classical tunes, complete with lightshow - sure to be a crowd-pleaser!

On the 23rd, back with UITCS for Far Away, at Donmar Warehouse. Unfortunately, I'm now hearing really bad reviews of this - ah well. Not surprised, given that it's by Caryl Churchill, who also wrote A Number. Which I didn't rate highly.

On the 24th, seeing The Dumb Waiter, by Harold Pinter, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 25th, back with UITCS for Clybourne Park, at the Park Theatre.

On the 26th, back with them again - for the opening night of a Ballet Black Mixed Bill, at the Barbican, for once! Much handier for me. Interestingly, no fewer than three Meetup groups are going to the same thing - but UITCS advertised it first, and I've booked with them and will not be repeating the chaos of multiple bookings that I tried previously. One in particular, Love London Theatre Arts Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) - which has a habit of booking the same thing on the same night as UITCS - has introduced a new rule that you can't book with them if you've booked with someone else as well. Well gee, no problem - wasn't going to anyway. Not really the way to increase your group's attendance, if you ask me. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 30th, ironically, I'm with LLTAMS for something that they're the only ones to advertise! It's a classical concert of religious music at Queen Elizabeth Hall, and should be lovely.

On the 31st, back at the Barbican for It's True, It's True, It's True. Dramatisation of a 17th-Century rape trial.

On the 1st, I find myself with London Science & Geek Chic Socials! We're off to a talk at the Star & Garter (Greenwich), entitled Greenwich Skeptics: A Magician Among the Spirits, which describes the confrontational relationship between magicians and psychics - the name is taken from a book by Houdini.

On the 2nd, back with UITCS at the Barbican - this time, it's the opening night of Orlando.

And on the 3rd, back with them again for Last Easter, at the Orange Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment