Wednesday 11 March 2020

Musical: Hamilton

Last night, whoop-de-doo! Finally got a decently priced, decently located ticket to the show of the moment, Hamilton! Showing at the Victoria Palace, booking through Ticketmaster exclusively. Booked the day after Christmas: the same day as City of Angels - I often block book. So I got to see whether it lives up to the hype - I'm just delighted to be able to stop searching for tickets for it! And even with everything else going on, I remembered to bring the ticket with me. Spent the day paranoid about losing / tearing it..!

Well, it was raining again - not as heavily, though. I left a bit early. Unfortunately, even with being early, I still didn't manage to make the bus before the one I had to get, to get there on time - got there just in time to see it chug off down the road. So I had to wait for what would be the last bus possible. Yeah - that was as nervewracking as you can imagine. We didn't do too badly - but still arrived five minutes later than expected, which meant I was dropped outside the theatre with five minutes to spare! and two large roads to cross. Mercifully, the crossing lights worked pretty much in my favour.

Disconcertingly, they were putting the crowd barriers away as I arrived. A huge queue to go in - I was right behind a large, American-sounding tour group. The guy doing bag checks did such a cursory job that he missed the extra one I was carrying: and as the usher scanned my ticket, he described how I had to get to the Grand Circle - staircase after staircase - while helpfully explaining that I had about 90 seconds to get there! Well, off I set. And there sure are a lot of stairs - I don't think I've ever been here before. And it's a pity I didn't have more time to have a look around - it's a beautiful theatre, lots of brass and chandeliers. You can sure tell when a theatre is doing well - they're obviously raking it in with this show, and this is a place you won't find any peeling plaster!



So, the Grand Circle is really steep - I was glad of the mini-handrails, just like the Opera House. I was also very glad of my decision to wait until I had the chance of an aisle seat - the legroom isn't too bad, until you've been sat for a while, and it's a relief to be able to swing your legs into the aisle. And this is a long show.. it was nearly 10.30 when it finished.

Phew, I don't know how they manage - this is relentless! I was exhausted, just watching! It's completely sung / rapped - listen carefully, these are not throwaway lyrics. It's the story of Alexander Hamilton - and well worth the effort of making a show out of! Born out of wedlock, he rose to the top by his intellect and drive - after distinguishing himself during the Revolutionary War, he made a name for himself in law, banking, and politics - he was the first US Secretary of the Treasury. He was larger than life - blazed an unforgettable trail. Along the way, he was also such a womaniser that, apparently, George Washington's wife named her tomcat after him..

George III appears for comic relief - he starts by giving the warning at the start about turning off your phones, then keeps popping up, first perplexed by the Americans' desire to separate, then bursting his sides laughing at their problems founding a government. So. Wow. They have all that history to get through, they have the comedy. The orchestra is kept busy with a constant, driving, irresistibly catchy rhythm. Complex choreography. No wonder the show is so long..!

Yeah, it's terrific. If, as I say, exhausting. And unexpectedly moving. The emotion of the first half is centred around revolutionary fervour - the line "immigrants get things done!" deservedly got a round of applause all its own. The second half is darker, as not everything goes Hamilton's way..

Truly memorable, and deserves the sell-out house it achieves every night. Currently booking till the 1st of August, but will probably run for years, at this rate. Booking essential - and tricky. But honestly, I got more out of City of Angels. Which is not to downgrade this at all, but rather a point about how good City of Angels is..! What can I say, it's that bit cleverer.. and as I say, Hamilton does pack a lot in: perhaps a little too much. Can't be avoided, I guess - the guy achieved a lot!

Again, had to be in early today for a planning meeting, so no blogging last night. Tonight, back at Soho Theatre (hopefully - at least the show is later than Tuesday's, which I missed! As long as I manage to stay awake). This time, it's Sara Barron's show, Enemies Closer.

Tomorrow, back with This & That (not for ages, then twice in one week!). This time, it's a pre-Paddy's Day concert with the Band of the Irish Guards, at the Guards' Chapel. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, back at Soho Theatre again - this time, for the opening night of Tom Rosenthal's show, Manhood.

Tuesday is, of course, Paddy's Day itself - and like last year, I'm off to the Irish Centre in Camden. And again, they have a St. Patrick's Night Special - I've already booked my ticket. Dunno whether anyone will join me, but hey.

Next Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Be More Chill, at The Other Palace. My only Meetup that week!

The 19th is going to be hugely busy for me. So, first I'm at Soho Theatre for Jena Friedman's show, Miscarriage of Justice. And then, wouldn't you know it, The Embers Collective scheduled a series of shows at the Vault Festival. And blast it if I wasn't already booked for the whole week! But hey, with the comedy show finishing at 8.30.. and the storytelling not starting till 10.. this one was doable! Their show that night is Queerstory - LGBTQ+ - themed. And I'm going.

On the 20th, finally getting to see Dear Evan Hanson, at the Noel Coward Theatre. It got the royal seal of approval during the week, of course! And it's about time I saw it - UITCS went last year.

On the 21st, a proper social at last from my last company, woo-hoo! We now have 5 (possibly 6) confirmations for a dinner at my current favourite Italian - Amarcord Museum. The place with the chocolate mousse cake to die for.. I've booked, on the assumption that I won't get any more takers. And that laying a space for 6 is much the same as laying a space for 5. And I've asked specially for the chocolate cake..

On the 22nd, heading to the last night of a classical spectacular at the Albert Hall. Popular classical tunes, complete with lightshow - sure to be a crowd-pleaser!

On the 23rd, back with UITCS for Far Away, at Donmar Warehouse. Unfortunately, I'm now hearing really bad reviews of this - ah well. Not surprised, given that it's by Caryl Churchill, who also wrote A Number. Which I didn't rate highly.

On the 24th, seeing The Dumb Waiter, by Harold Pinter, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 25th, back with UITCS for Clybourne Park, at the Park Theatre.

On the 26th, back with them again - for the opening night of a Ballet Black Mixed Bill, at the Barbican, for once! Much handier for me. Interestingly, no fewer than three Meetup groups are going to the same thing - but UITCS advertised it first, and I've booked with them and will not be repeating the chaos of multiple bookings that I tried previously. One in particular, Love London Theatre Arts Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) - which has a habit of booking the same thing on the same night as UITCS - has introduced a new rule that you can't book with them if you've booked with someone else as well. Well gee, no problem - wasn't going to anyway. Not really the way to increase your group's attendance, if you ask me. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 30th, ironically, I'm with LLTAMS for something that they're the only ones to advertise! It's a classical concert of religious music at Queen Elizabeth Hall, and should be lovely.

On the 31st, back at the Barbican for It's True, It's True, It's True. Dramatisation of a 17th-Century rape trial.

On the 1st, I find myself with London Science & Geek Chic Socials! We're off to a talk at the Star & Garter (Greenwich), entitled Greenwich Skeptics: A Magician Among the Spirits, which describes the confrontational relationship between magicians and psychics - the name is taken from a book by Houdini.

On the 2nd, back with UITCS at the Barbican - this time, it's the opening night of Orlando.

And on the 3rd, back with them again for Last Easter, at the Orange Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment