Saturday 7 March 2020

Play: Love, Love, Love

Tonight, I was headed back to the Lyric Hammersmith, for something called Love, Love, Love, written by the excellent Mike BartlettUp in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) is heading to this later in the month, I see. Well, this far out, it was going to be Tube - didn't need to leave until evening. But I fancied breakfast from the Upper Crust, in Liverpool Street Station - and since I was going to be leaving from there, it made sense (I thought) to go straight, and head to Hammersmith early.

They really do make excellent baguettes - and once I'd finished mine, I set off. Unfortunately, I was just in time to miss my train - the Metropolitan Line was the only one from that platform that wouldn't be any good to me, and sure enough that was all that was coming. It wasn't until the third train following the one I'd missed that another came that I could use.

Mind you, I was just using up time - I had hours and hours to kill. Thought, first, that I'd better get something to eat - and lo, it suddenly occurred to me that I'd like a Chinese. I was to discover that Hammersmith isn't abounding in them. I ended up in a basic-looking joint called Sanbao Chinese Kitchen, where staff were friendly enough, if not exactly providing silver service. The guy who served me was perplexed when I asked for a glass of wine - it isn't included in the lunch menu, you see, whereas I could have had a free soft drink. But I could see the bottle, and I fancied one! (And yes, he mistook what I said and initially poured me a glass of red.)

He then repaired to the side, where he tuned into some football match on his laptop - the commentary mixing with the commentary from two separate Chinese programmes, showing on the two tvs on the wall. The rest of the work was left to the young lady who'd just arrived - a very personable young lady too, although the sole other customer asked for salt, then had to show her where it was on the stand. I think he was a regular!

Mind wasn't too long in coming - but on the basis of it, I won't be back. The prawn crackers were tasteless. Before I'd finished them, the beef szechuan appeared - at least this was tasty, although I didn't have a choice of rice, it had to be plain boiled. Which was served on the same plate. Just as well, considering how little szechuan there was.. and I've had better beef, too. No, Hammersmith is not the place for Chinese, it seems!

So I mooched up the street - as slowly as possible - towards the theatre. I intended to have some cake in their excellent cafe - but it was so early that I baulked at going to the upstairs cafe, and went into the street-level one instead. Where I picked out a slice of marble cake. But the staff were on a break, and weren't encouraging me to hang around.. which is how I came to spend a couple of hours in The William Morris pub, across the square. I was damn lucky to get a table, mind.. and watching the food stream past me, I regretted not just coming there to eat! Ah well. Seems the carpet is patterned on a design of the man in question!



Meantime, as the family nearby fed their already hyperactive toddler a whole sharing pack of M&Ms.. I had a leaf through the Wetherspoon's magazine on my table. (This being a Wetherspoon's pub, you see, and me trying to save the rapidly decreasing battery on my phone.) Well, not a good idea for anyone not in favour of Brexit..! After some pro-Brexit rhetoric at the start, there's a "balanced" presentation of views from both sides. Well, it'd be more balanced if each one wasn't prefaced with an editorial comment on what he (a stauch Brexiteer, of course) thought of them! or if a Remainer had also commented on each. Honestly, with all that, and some geezer sitting down on my other side and defending Brexit to his pal as they put the world to rights.. I was glad when it was late enough for me to defend trying the theatre again! (And as I did, the toddler had finished his sugar binge and was on the run again, pursued by his harassed mother. Who, at least, was getting some exercise out of it!)

This time, I headed to the theatre's upstairs cafe - where I had a slice of their excellent lemon drizzle cake. And more wine. And waited for them to open the house.. while I watched one woman greet people she knew by bumping elbows. Interesting ways they have of avoiding coronavirus!



Which they did, about half an hour before start time. I turned on my phone just before going in - the problem was, my ticket was a e-ticket, only displayed on the phone! so it had to work long enough to get me in. Well, it did - and I was second row in the stalls. I might have taken more photos, but my poor phone wasn't up to it!



And so to the play, which takes place over three acts (therefore two intervals - which were quite boring for me, as I could neither use my phone, nor leave the auditorium for fear of not being able to get back in again, unable to show my ticket!). As I discovered from the people around me who'd splashed out on programmes, these three acts represent three different years - 1967, 1990, and 2011. And over these years, we follow the story of a couple who meet in 1967.. by 1990 they're married with kids.. and in 2011 the kids are grown up. And it's now that we see the full consequences of the decisions made all those years before.

One quibble: Rachael Stirling, who plays the woman of the couple, Sandra, is supposed to be a teenager in the first act. Now, she's excellent in the later acts - and they do their best for the first act, giving her long, loose hair, putting her in youthful clothes. But really - a teenager?! I had to laugh (discreetly) when she mentioned something about not having wrinkles.. her partner, Nicholas Burns (Kenneth) ages much more convincingly!

Overall though, the acting is excellent, and the staging for each act does reflect the time period it's set in. The play is billed as telling the story of the different perspectives of the two generations - and yes, the issues raised are very topical. A real talking-point, too - someone behind me, as I was coming out, was railing against the couple's daughter.. and this is one where you're liable to take sides, parents or children. But the most enjoyable aspect of the production has to be the soundtrack - before the start of each act, they blast you with some evocative pop music from that era. And it really brings back memories! Very enjoyable, as well as thought-provoking. Highly recommended. Runs till the 4th.

As the lights came up at the end, I heard my name called from the row behind - someone from UITCS had spotted me! I asked him whether he'd enjoyed it - I thought his reply of "it's all right" was quite a recommendation. On the way home, of course, I had no phone to entertain me. However, something did happen on the Tube that got me thinking. As sometimes happens, we got a beggar - a scruffy looking gent, slurring his words, walking funny, begging for change as he moved through the train. By and large, people were ignoring him - until he got to the young Muslim woman, sitting a few seats down from me. She was carrying what looked like a takeaway, in a plastic bag. She spoke to him briefly - I wasn't really listening - and then gave him the bag! Whether or not he was genuine, it was a lovely gesture - I just hope she didn't have a hard time explaining the story to whoever was waiting for that takeaway!

Tomorrow, I was thinking of film - got the film list done on Wednesday, then wasn't too pushed about what was coming out on top. Not that it was easy to get the listings, mind - my film site has a new look, still apparently gets the new listings on Tuesday evenings, but now doesn't seem to list the times for the following week along with the new films! So I can see what's on, just not where or when. I managed to Google a couple, which had their own websites, and from those I determined that they're not showing on days that'd suit. Others, I wasn't so lucky with, and just had to guess on the basis of the cinemas in which they were showing currently, whose websites I then had to check.

Anyway, the upshot was that I thought Meetup had better suggestions. So now, tomorrow I'm joining North London Friends for a concert called Some Kinda Wonderful - a tribute to Stevie Wonder. Run by the Chickenshed - the link was broken for a while, but was working again, last I checked. Unfortunately, it's all the way out in Cockfosters - ah well. I can tell you this, I'm not keen on spending all day up there!

On Monday, back with UITCS for City of Angels at the Garrick. Funny thing is, I was recently looking ahead for shows to book, and this came up - was on the point of booking for it, busily looking for deals, when I suddenly realised I'd already booked! The perils of booking early.. I booked this the day after Christmas.

On Tuesday, whoop-de-doo! Finally got a decently priced, decently located ticket to the show of the moment, Hamilton! Showing at the Victoria Palace, booking through Ticketmaster exclusively. Booked the same day as City of Angels - I often block book. So I get to see whether it lives up to the hype - I'm just delighted to be able to stop searching for tickets for it! Must just remember to bring the ticket to the office with me - they insisted on posting it.

On Wednesday, back at Soho Theatre (hopefully - at least the show is later than Tuesday's, which I missed!). This time, it's Sara Barron's show, Enemies Closer.

On Thursday, back with This & That (not for ages, then twice in one week!). This time, it's a pre-Paddy's Day concert with the Band of the Irish Guards, at the Guards' Chapel. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 16th, back at Soho Theatre again - this time, for the opening night of Tom Rosenthal's show, Manhood.

The 17th is, of course, Paddy's Day itself - and like last year, I'm off to the Irish Centre in Camden. And again, they have a St. Patrick's Night Special - I've already booked my ticket. Dunno whether anyone will join me, but hey.

On the 18th, back with UITCS for Be More Chill, at The Other Palace. My only Meetup that week!

The 19th is going to be hugely busy for me. So, first I'm at Soho Theatre for Jena Friedman's show, Miscarriage of Justice. And then, wouldn't you know it, The Embers Collective scheduled a series of shows at the Vault Festival. And blast it if I wasn't already booked for the whole week! But hey, with the comedy show finishing at 8.30.. and the storytelling not starting till 10.. this one was doable! Their show that night is Queerstory - LGBTQ+ - themed. And I'm going.

On the 20th, finally getting to see Dear Evan Hanson, at the Noel Coward Theatre. It got the royal seal of approval during the week, of course! And it's about time I saw it - UITCS went last year.

On the 21st, a proper social at last from my last company, woo-hoo! We now have 5 (possibly 6) confirmations for a dinner at my current favourite Italian - Amarcord Museum. The place with the chocolate mousse cake to die for.. I've booked, on the assumption that I won't get any more takers. And that laying a space for 6 is much the same as laying a space for 5. And I've asked specially for the chocolate cake..

On the 22nd, heading to the last night of a classical spectacular at the Albert Hall. Popular classical tunes, complete with lightshow - sure to be a crowd-pleaser!

On the 23rd, back with UITCS for Far Away, at Donmar Warehouse. Unfortunately, I'm now hearing really bad reviews of this - ah well. Not surprised, given that it's by Caryl Churchill, who also wrote A Number. Which I didn't rate highly.

On the 24th, seeing The Dumb Waiter, by Harold Pinter, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 25th, back with UITCS for Clybourne Park, at the Park Theatre.

On the 26th, back with them again - for the opening night of a Ballet Black Mixed Bill, at the Barbican, for once! Much handier for me. Interestingly, no fewer than three Meetup groups are going to the same thing - but UITCS advertised it first, and I've booked with them and will not be repeating the chaos of multiple bookings that I tried previously. One in particular, Love London Theatre Arts Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) - which has a habit of booking the same thing on the same night as UITCS - has introduced a new rule that you can't book with them if you've booked with someone else as well. Well gee, no problem - wasn't going to anyway. Not really the way to increase your group's attendance, if you ask me. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 30th, ironically, I'm with LLTAMS for something that they're the only ones to advertise! It's a classical concert of religious music at Queen Elizabeth Hall, and should be lovely.

On the 31st, back at the Barbican for It's True, It's True, It's True. Dramatisation of a 17th-Century rape trial.

On the 1st, I find myself with London Science & Geek Chic Socials! We're off to a talk at the Star & Garter (Greenwich), entitled Greenwich Skeptics: A Magician Among the Spirits, which describes the confrontational relationship between magicians and psychics - the name is taken from a book by Houdini.

On the 2nd, back with UITCS at the Barbican - this time, it's the opening night of Orlando.

And on the 3rd, back with them again for Last Easter, at the Orange Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment