Thursday 10 May 2018

Talk: Shakespeare and the Wandering Mind

Today, I headed with London Social Detours to a talk on Shakespeare and the Wandering Mind, at the Wanamaker Playhouse - my first trip there in over a year, goodee! The talk sold out a while ago.. Cash payable on the day, so I got some out on the way into work.

I had to leave quite early - our organiser was of the opinion that they would overbook, so instructed us to be there in good time. Which I was, despite my bus being diverted! and then I had to figure out a way across the road.. and then down onto the road under the bridge.. once that was done, it was quite easy, and once I was on Southwark Bridge, I was on familiar territory.

Nice classical music to send me on my way, under Southwark Bridge as usual. I made my way straight to the actual entrance to the playhouse, but as it approached the appointed time, I couldn't see anyone I knew. When I got the Meetup page to work on my phone, I realised she'd said to meet at the front entrance, which sounded as though she meant to meet outside - sure enough, I looked and there they were. When she'd sorted out her dues, there was a kerfuffle as one person wanted to wait for her friends - but the people at the desk were very nice, gave us as many tickets as we needed straight away, and said whoever was left over could get theirs whenever was convenient.

We actually all ended up in the Lower Gallery, a level I'd never been on. Since no-one was beating down the doors to get in, we had a scooch around the gift shop - a terrific range of things related to Macbeth seemed to dominate the stock, but as I remarked to someone, since it isn't Hallowe'en, I didn't feel inspired to buy anything blood-spattered. We were duly let in at 6 - the talk wasn't until half past. And wow, were we close to the stage!



More photos here. We were very early, but in due course the lower two levels filled up - the Upper Gallery seemed to be reserved for staff, although I'm not sure they weren't letting in the overflow by the end. The speaker, Dr. Raphael Lyne, is a Reader in Renaissance Literature at Cambridge, a writer, and a blogger. So, he's as eloquent as you'd expect - it's just a shame that he has such a soothing voice, because after the week I've had, I had to struggle not to drop off! particularly as I was in the front row. Which would have been embarrassing.

His thesis was that a wandering mind has its purpose - events or speeches in a play might spark some train of thought in an audience member, which allows them to perceive the play from a new angle. Someone asked a very interesting question in the subsequent Q+A, along the lines of whether some wandering thought processes are more worthy than others: for instance, is it less acceptable if, instead of considering the play from a new angle, your mind wanders towards lunch? Considering this, he mused that considering your lunch was an example of fitting the play into the structure of your life - so, interesting from that perspective. (Very diplomatic.)

Apart from him and the mc, a third person was on stage, sitting at the back. I wondered at first whether she was there as a sign language interpreter - and wondered even more when she failed to do any interpreting! No, when he took the podium, he explained that when he enquired, he was informed that, owing to the nature of the building, there were no AV facilities whatsoever. However, he was promised that he could "borrow an actor"! So he did, and she was there to read - in a most accomplished manner - selected Shakespearian passages to illustrate his point. I enjoyed her delivery, but did wonder at the point of the passages, to be honest; at first, she was reading from The Tempest, where Prospero wondered whether Miranda was paying attention. I got that connection. However, when he moved to Much Ado About Nothing, and started to consider all the different interpretations of the word "well", as spoken by the different characters.. It was very interesting, but I'm still trying to see the relevance of that.

The Q+A afterwards had some very well-considered questions from the audience, and indeed revealed him as quite a wit. Yes, I can heartily recommend these talks - would happily go to another, especially in this venue.

Afterwards, some of us repaired to The Anchor, which was quite busy - we ended up on the second floor of this maze of a place, where we pushed two tables together and had a drink or two. I was hungry, so ordered food - never again here! except the chips, which were the best I've had in an age. It took a while to come, then the waiter had the misfortune to take it to the wrong end of our table, where he was told that hadn't been ordered, I couldn't get anyone to listen to me as I was trying to grab their attention from across the table, and it therefore took longer than it should have for me to get fed. Sadly, I can't say the wait was worth it, as (apart from the chips) everything on the plate was either tough or tasteless. The staff are friendly though, and I had some fun ordering my second drink, when the French lass behind the bar, who had to have everything repeated, told me that sadly I couldn't pay in cash, it'd have to be card.. because she didn't have the key to the till..

And so home, after a most convivial evening.



Crossing to St. Paul's, I came across an unusual sculpture, which you can walk through, and which frames the cathedral as you do!



And I got there just in time for my bus!

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. On Monday, I really didn't see anything on Meetup (again!), so I'm back with my £3.60 club - for safety, I picked the classical concert they're selling cheap tickets for, in Wigmore Hall. Can't really go too far wrong with that.

Tuesday will be interesting - I'm going to Return to the Forbidden Planet, at the Gatehouse. What's most interesting is that I'm signed up with both North London Friends and Up in the Cheap Seats, who are both there that night! Maybe I can introduce them to each other..

On Wednesday, back with Let's Do This for another Turkish meal at TAS. The last was excellent, so they're doing it again! which I think is a very good idea. And the second host is attending, for the first time in ages..

Next Thursday, London Literary Walks is taking us for A Night in Knightsbridge - sure to be as good as ever.

And on the 18th, North London Friends is going to Quiz, at the Noel Coward Theatre. This is based on the true story of an audience member who coughed at the right answers from the multiple-choice selections, in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, thus enabling his co-conspirator to take away the top prize. Well, the group have onstage seats, which they sold themselves - they had sold them all when I looked, though, so I booked my own in the rear stalls, with the benefit of a Theatre Token I'd earned with Seatplan reviews. I then let them know I was coming.. no response yet. Hope they're still talking to me after Tuesday..!

No comments:

Post a Comment