Monday 14 May 2018

Concert: Leading Lights Before the English Civil War

Today, I really didn't see anything on Meetup (again!), so I was back with my £3.60 club - for safety, I picked the classical concert they were selling cheap tickets for, in Wigmore Hall. Can't really go too far wrong with that.

Hell, I started off the day tired though. Now that I've switched - for reasons of proximity and price - to flying to and from Stansted (therefore Ryanair), I'm a victim of Ryanair's perpetually delayed flight from Shannon to Stansted on a Sunday evening. Last night - due, apparently, to severe air traffic controls in Italy - was the worst delay yet. The 9.40pm flight left at 12.05am, landed at 1.15am, too late for the Stansted Express, so instead I was on the National Express bus. Have to try and motivate myself to claim that on travel insurance. Well, I hoped I was on the bus.. the queues were biblical, and while I was already in the queue for the 1.45am bus, it filled before I got to it. I was damn lucky to get one of the last seats on the 2.05am (the next wasn't for over an hour after), which got into town at 3. A couple of buses later, and I got into my room at about 3.40am. Needless to say, I didn't get a full night's kip.

Well, I dragged myself out this evening, arriving just in nice time for my bus. Nearly fell asleep en route, getting off at the last stop. Wigmore Hall isn't far from there - I collected my ticket at the box office, returned to get a programme (they like you to, and I wanted to know the repertoire anyway), and took my seat. Which turned out to be one of the top price ones, normal price £38, if you please! Ooh, and I'd forgotten the lovely, plush red velvet seats here. Well, I haven't been that often:



The programme consisted entirely of alternating works by William Lawes and John Jenkins, composers for the viol in the court of King Charles I. Phantasm is an award-winning group of viol players, and gave a virtuouso performance - and the music, while recognisably 17th century, had a quirkiness that made it stand out. The programme attributed this to the freedom of writing for Charles I, who, it cannot be denied, despite his faults, was a patron of the arts of great taste and discernment. Absolutely gorgeous - and a good excuse to rest my eyes, especially since I was attending alone, and didn't have to be sociable. Only two quibbles: one, they took FOREVER to tune their instruments between tunes: and two, it got a bit samey towards the end. But a lovely, restful evening all the same. And home early, yay! Especially given how cold it is out there, brr.. at this rate, I'm going to have to start dressing even more warmly!

Tomorrow will be interesting - I'm going to Return to the Forbidden Planet, at the Gatehouse. Sold out now, I believe. What's most interesting is that I'm signed up with both North London Friends and Up in the Cheap Seats, who are both there that night! Maybe I can introduce them to each other..

On Wednesday, back with Let's Do This for another Turkish meal at TAS. The last was excellent, so they're doing it again! which I think is a very good idea. And the second host is attending, for the first time in ages..

On Thursday, London Literary Walks is taking us for A Night in Knightsbridge - sure to be as good as ever.

And on Friday, North London Friends is going to Quiz, at the Noel Coward Theatre. This is based on the true story of an audience member who coughed at the right answers from the multiple-choice selections, in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, thus enabling his co-conspirator to take away the top prize. Well, the group have onstage seats, which they sold themselves - they didn't show any availability when I looked, though, so I booked my own in the rear stalls, with the benefit of a Theatre Token I'd earned with Seatplan reviews. I then let them know I was coming.. no response yet. Hope they're still talking to me after tomorrow..!

No comments:

Post a Comment