Wednesday 16 May 2018

Musical: Return to the Forbidden Planet

Yesterday was set to be interesting - I was going to Return to the Forbidden Planet, at the Gatehouse. Sold out show, probably because of the half-price Tuesday tickets. What was most interesting is that I signed up with both North London Friends and Up in the Cheap Seats, who were both there that night! Maybe I could introduce them to each other..

On a beautiful, sunny evening, it was lovely to have an excuse to leave early - Highgate is quite a trip from the centre. I was early enough that the bus wasn't too crowded - and having got on one stop from its beginning, I rode it right to the end of the line, just down the road from the pub. And considering how the bus was wheezing on the last stretch, I was glad was taking the strain. I'd managed to get there before both my groups, so I just took a seat - seeing a food menu, I decided I didn't fancy anything heavy, but nibbles would be nice; as it happens, they have a tapas menu, so I ordered some mushroom croquettes from that. Served with a garlic sauce, they were delicious! During the show, I was wishing I had another portion..

I was eating them when organiser no. 1 arrived, identifying me from the details I'd added to the North London Friends page. At that point, we moved to a bigger table - the expected group was large. And in due course, more members arrived. Gorgeous pub, BTW - lots of wood, spacious, large windows to let in the sunshine.. they also have a dining room and garden, dogs welcome in pub and garden (as they explained to the couple with the little Yorkie).

When the box office opened, we trooped upstairs to get our tickets, so as not to be bothered with that as we were queueing for the theatre - and boy, was there a queue for the theatre! 20 minutes before the start of the show, the queue stretched all the way down the stairs. Handily for the organiser from Up in the Cheap Seats, once he'd got his ticket, he just slipped into the queue with me. Seating is unassigned, two sections facing each other, and I managed to get sat between both groups.



Unlike the Up in the Cheap Seats folks, I'd never seen this before - just thought it sounded like fun. And yup, it's absolutely mad. Described as "Shakespeare's forgotten rock 'n' roll masterpiece", the thing is a deliciously cheesy sci-fi spoof, liberally sprinkled with Shakespearian quotes (the story is loosely modelled on The Tempest, but I counted quotes from at least seven more Shakespearian plays throughout). But hey, the most striking thing has to be the constant flow of popular pop and rock tunes, effortlessly segued into the storyline..

The cast absolutely threw themselves into it, and had as much of a blast as we did! Special mention must go to the roller-skating robot, Ariel, who effortlessly glides across the stage, acting, singing, chewing paper.. And I defy anyone to keep from tapping toes, jiggling, singing along as hit after popular hit is blasted out. Enough to lift the darkest mood. Kudos also to the theatre manager (or whatever his title) who, when there was a technical issue with the guitars and they had to pause the show, gamely entertained us, first by having everyone sing Happy Birthday to the girl with a birthday sash over her shoulder, then telling us the story of how they were playing in the Theatre Royal, Windsor, and Prince Philip insisted on coming backstage..


Runs until the 17th of next month, except Mondays, booking advisable. Earlier showings on Sundays. At the interval, I eschewed the bar for the green room, beside the theatre, where they were selling reasonably priced ice creams. And after, I unsociably scuttled straight home, it being a long journey and me having to be in early this morning. Hence the delay in the blog, too. The bus journey was speedy, mind you, and seemed to be entirely downhill..

Tonight, back with Let's Do This for another Turkish meal at TAS. The last was excellent, so they're doing it again! which I think is a very good idea. And the second host is attending, for the first time in ages.. I have a late meeting, so will probably end up on the Tube, for speediness.

Tomorrow, London Literary Walks is taking us for A Night in Knightsbridge - sure to be as good as ever.

And on Friday, North London Friends is going to Quiz, at the Noel Coward Theatre. This is based on the true story of an audience member who coughed at the right answers from the multiple-choice selections, in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, thus enabling his co-conspirator to take away the top prize. Well, the group have onstage seats, which they sold themselves - they didn't show any availability when I looked, though, so I booked my own in the rear stalls, with the benefit of a Theatre Token I'd earned with Seatplan reviews. I then let them know I was coming.. it'd be nice to meet them on the night, if they're willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment