Wednesday 16 May 2018

Meal: Tas Borough

Tonight, back with Let's Do This for another Turkish meal at TAS. The last was excellent, so they did it again! which I think is a very good idea. And the second host came, for the first time in ages..

I had a late meeting, so took the Tube, for speediness. Man, what a trek - a sluggish crowd led into Old Street Station, although it sped up after the barriers. And then I had the usual wait at the platform - a five-minute wait for the train to arrive, to begin with, and then it was too crammed and I had to wait for the next! Hey, better than the last time I took the Tube, and had to wait for the third train.. A cramped, almost airless journey ensued, and what a relief it was to get off, three stops later at London Bridge. When I saw a sign for a lift that would take me to Borough exit, which was exactly what I wanted - well, I jumped at the chance, and was whisked to the exit in no time! Recommended.

I then hung a left, and The George, where we were to meet again, was a short walk away. Our organiser had said something about being in the second space past the bar - well, I followed my nose and found him, and wouldn't you know it, despite being a bit late, I was the first of the others to arrive! The second organiser, when he arrived, was kind enough to nip off and get me a drink, and when we were all there, we had a most pleasant chat until it was time to leave.

Again, Tas is just a short walk down the road, and they soon sorted us out with a table near the door. I did find the heating a bit much, but otherwise it's a delightful space, airy, pleasantly decorated, with a fellow playing guitar just up the steps. We didn't have as many menus as last time, but really, how many do you need..? We ordered a couple of meze to share, and for my main course this time I had Tavuk Kofte: minced, marinated chicken served with couscous. What it turned out to be was kind of BBQ chicken pieces. And the whole meal was gorgeous - simple, good food, which I'd recommend to anyone. Even the foreign-food-challenged! We didn't really feel like dessert - I know the chocolate cake here is good, but it also takes more effort to eat than I was prepared to put in, this time.

Conversation was also good, flowing over a couple of bottles of wine that we shared among us. The Man with the Hat came up in conversation - to be honest, he often does, when we that knew him are gathered together! He casts a long shadow. But hey, we were so lucky to have had him while we did, and after all, he represented a side of Meetup that was less about the money, more about the getting to know people. And that's something that's worth preserving. Long may it last. The night finished earlier than I'm used to, but what a joy it'll be to get to bed early.. Roll on the next Meetup with this group, it's one of the friendlier ones.

Tomorrow, London Literary Walks is taking us for A Night in Knightsbridge - sure to be as good as ever. Another group I can heartily recommend, and often do.

And on Friday, North London Friends is going to Quiz, at the Noel Coward Theatre. This is based on the true story of an audience member who coughed at the right answers from the multiple-choice selections, in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, thus enabling his co-conspirator to take away the top prize. Well, the group have onstage seats, which they sold themselves - they didn't show any availability when I looked, though, so I booked my own in the rear stalls, with the benefit of a Theatre Token I'd earned with Seatplan reviews. I then let them know I was coming.. it'd be nice to meet them on the night, if they're willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment