Tuesday 22 May 2018

Concert: Beethoven Cycle

Tonight, my £3.60 club had tickets for a Beethoven cycle in the Barbican! Sadly, they'd sold out - but that didn't stop me buying my own ticket from the venue, although it cost more. Still, Beethoven is my favourite, so..

Well, I had a bad night with The Leg, and after limping in on it this morning, invested in a Deep Heat patch, which I wore for the day. Now, I still have pain, but I must say, I no longer seem to have resting pain, and the pain upon standing or sitting isn't as severe. So, I braved the walk (limp) to the Barbican, leaving a little extra time. I was breathless by the time I got there, but that's down to the pain in my leg, now.

Limped down three fights of stairs to the basement, then another flight in the Hall - my seat was in the front row, to the side.



Nice and snug, actually, in a dark corner beside the dressing rooms. Now, by means of peeking over a nearby shoulder, I got a glimpse of the programme I keep forgetting to print from the website, which informed me that there'd be another modern piece (world premiere), and Beethoven's 4th and 5th symphonies.

Well, I'm used to modern pieces being thrown in, sort of as a penance, among the good stuff - they're almost always awful, and nobody would come to hear them, otherwise. I'm also used to them being on first - which is why I got quite a surprise when I actually liked the first piece! Thought it was very Beethovian. Well, of course, it was actually Beethoven's 4th - obviously enough, since the modern piece was advertised as a piano piece, and the piano was still tucked away in a corner. Duh..!

We then suffered through the modern piece, which was as discordant and unpleasant as any I've heard. Naturally - seems to be the purpose of them. Extended clapping at the end, which I didn't join in.

And so to the interval, when I was glad I'm now using Kindle on my phone - instant access to books, and I'm currently in the middle of John Connolly's first Charlie Parker novel, "Every Dead Thing". Supernatural thrillers, beautifully written, recommended.

The second half was worth the price of admission - Beethoven's fifth is glorious, full of dramatic climaxes, and the rest straining with the suspense of leading up to them. I was absolutely transported.

Coming out afterwards, I was met by a stiff, freezing wind - I was so glad that, unlike the past two days, I'd brought something to put on! Still, I was freezing by the time I got to Tesco's, and when I came out, considering that the bus stop outside would serve me with a couple of buses that'd get me home, that's what I decided to do - the continuing soreness in my leg helped the decision; I didn't want to make it any worse.

Tomorrow, Eleanor is back with a Flamenco evening at Sand's Films, olé! Advertised via the London European Club, booked through TunedIn London. Ah, it'll be so good to get back there again! I have another late meeting, but should be able to manage it, as long as it doesn't overrun dramatically. And at least getting public transport again will save my leg.

On Thursday, back with London Literary Walks, which are getting more frequent again - this week, it's Krays, Chaucer and Matches.. And then I'm back to Ireland for the long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment