Friday 6 October 2017

Day 5: Stockholm

Tonight, I was supposed to be headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for Up in the Cheap Seats - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel this week, without refund, for my stay in Stockholm.. what the hey, I'm saving money here! Expenses paid, after all.

Lunch today was in Burgers & Beer - a longer walk than usual from the office. Glad to see they serve wine, too - but for lunch, I had a Sprite (they don't do 7Up). Served with a wine glass, complete with ice and a straw - and in my case, a slice of lime. We got a table in the corner, luckily - the place was quite packed. My bacon and cheeseburger was served medium rare - since I haven't suffered any ill effects since, I imagine the mincing is done onsite. Actually - once I removed the obligatory tomato slice, to which I'm intolerant - it was delicious. I also ordered onion rings, and got an absolute pile of them - along with an indifferent dip. But we were well fed.

One of our Stockholm colleagues had booked a traditional Swedish restaurant for us for dinner - so we took our first trip on the Stockholm Metro..


..to a restaurant called Tranan, complete with doorman. Inside was busy - she'd been wise to make a reservation - and we were advised to head to the cellar bar to wait. We just had time to get a drink before our table was called, and we headed back upstairs, where we were sat snugly at a window seat, complete with handy window ledge where we could leave our bags. Plenty of hooks were provided, had we wished to use them.


A basket of bread as an appetiser, complete with small, round breads that were recommended to us by one of our Swedish-resident colleagues - slightly spicy, and ever so delicious! Butter, in a small tub, complete with a big wooden spoon. Two tuna steaks, one pork belly, and I had rib-eye steak. Mine was certainly delicious - served with an enormous knob of butter on top, which was nice, but strong; I didn't eat most of that. Dessert was chocolate truffle for me - which was served as a teeny cube on a plate. Very rich, of course. Not the cheapest place in town - but hey, we weren't paying..!

The night was finished off at Theodora's, where we stayed for just the one. Didn't want to stay too late anyway - tomorrow will be our only decent day of sightseeing!

On Monday, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On Wednesday, back with Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On Thursday, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment