Thursday 5 October 2017

Day 4: Stockholm

Today would have been Up in the Cheap Seats - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells. Had I not been in Stockholm, of course.

For lunch today, we were offered a choice of places that were different from anywhere we'd been.. so we ended up in Razmoni, which is the "Indiansk Restaurang" beside Formaggio, where we were yesterday. Nice décor, a mostly understandable menu, for a non-Swedish speaker: that's the handy thing about foreign food, it generally translates the same in any language! It was very crowded, so we ordered takeaways - and wouldn't you know it, each of the four of us who went ordered the same thing! (Butter chicken, medium spicy.) Comes with pilau rice, and a couple of us had naans. Took it back to the office to eat - unfortunately, it turned out to be a bit too salty, and I couldn't finish mine.

There had been talk of going to a stand-up comedy gig tonight, but the guy that our co-workers know, who was to be performing, cried off, so that was out. Somewhat wrecked by the late night we had last night, my London colleague and I just fancied dinner and back to bed - and the most sensible choice for dinner was to carry on down Fleminggatan, which is the long, straight road between our hotel and office, and has plenty of eateries. And so it was that we came to Texas Longhorn.


I've been in Texas steakhouses before, and am familiar with the American-style décor - wood panelling, lots of Americana on the walls. Little touches make it unique:




With English-language menus available, and helpful staff, we were sorted. Now, my companion wasn't very hungry - neither of us fancied starters, and he chose ribs for main course; me, I had steak. The smallest they had - a 200g striploin, a cut I'd never had before. I generally find that the smallest of steaks does me just fine. Came with a complimentary salad starter, which I didn't want, and fries. I also ordered garlic butter. I had a Chardonnay, my companion a glass of apple juice.

Well, it was just delicious! The steak might have been minuscule, but was quite filling - they come medium-rare as standard, and with the garlic butter, the taste was just perfect. The chips were crispy, and lent flavour by the sauce on the dish - and the Chardonnay, an unusual flavour, complemented the meal perfectly. My companion, sadly, didn't do his meal justice - there was more than he'd anticipated. Neither of us had the corn on the cob that came as standard. The apple juice, served in a large, glass tankard, did go down fast, and he had another. Excellent restaurant, actually, and I do recommend it if you're in the mood for that type of cuisine - prices standard for a steakhouse. As I remarked, we'll certainly know the bars and restaurants of Stockholm by the time we leave!

Tomorrow, I was headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for Up in the Cheap Seats - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'm saving money here! Expenses paid, after all.

On Monday, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On Wednesday, back with Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

Next Thursday, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment