Tuesday 3 October 2017

Day 2: Stockholm

Today, it was supposed to be free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for my week in Stockholm! No, instead, I'm up north, dealing with cold and intermittent rain.. much more enjoyable, believe me!

Today was a lot drier, thank goodness - and started with a lovely night's sleep, in a lovely soft bed, with curtains heavy enough that I didn't have to use any kind of eye mask. Heading for breakfast, we passed through a terribly secure office building! to the cafe, which is the hotel breakfast venue in the mornings. A very decent buffet included cereals, several kinds of milk, breads, croissants, small sausages that I could stomach (unlike British ones!), bacon, a choice of hard- or soft-boiled eggs, mushrooms.. I was well fed. This is definitely a hotel to consider, if you're in the area - nice and central, and free WiFi too.

To the office then - where we had lunch was called Stenugnsbageriet L, which does soup and sandwiches, and I had the most delicious carrot and ginger soup! (Our colleague translated the menu for us.) On a cold day, their emphasis was certainly on warming their customers. In the evening, we went for a colleague's leaving drinks, to a place called Erland's - where we took a table upstairs, in a very snug venue with some interesting decorative features. Friendly, English-speaking staff provided us with menus - one for cocktails, one for food and wine.. I had a couple of Chardonnays (at over twice what I would have considered reasonable for a glass that size in London - portions were as snug as the venue). Others had (quite small) cocktails, a few had beers. We didn't fancy the food menu though, and some of us left after a while, to eat elsewhere.



..Which turned out to be Brewdog! Now, they have branches in London, but thinking they were primarily a beer joint, I never darkened their doors - it's not my thing. Wow, I'll be making a detour towards them in future.. if only to see whether the hot dogs are as delicious as the one I had tonight!! "Truffle that Onion" - seriously recommended. And the side of mac 'n' cheese was very moreish. Oh yeah - and they serve wine too! (one kind of each colour: which is fine by me). Oh - and they're dog-friendly! :-)



Tomorrow was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, which I'm finding lately has been the norm!

Thursday, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on Friday, I was headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money here! Expenses paid, after all.

On Monday, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

Next Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On the 11th October, back with Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On the 12th October, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment