Wednesday 2 November 2016

Storytelling: Day of the Dead

I was just saying to someone yesterday how funny it is that I never seem to find anything decent on Hallowe'en, but there tends to be lots on around the day. Sure enough, up popped the Crick Crack Club last night, with a three-person performance, two of whom I'm familiar with - Nell Phoenix and my favourite, Clare Muireann Murphy - for a show entitled Day of the Dead, in Rich Mix

Got home in time to draw breath, before checking how long it'd take, and rushing to catch the 7.14 Overground to Shoreditch, to be in time for 8. Made it, panting, just as the train pulled in, so I managed a seat. And had a much-needed rest, dozing much of the way, but waking when a man got on with a beautiful, black greyhound, elegantly favouring a paw that, to my untrained eye, looked broken. They got off at Shoreditch too, but took the lift.

A short walk brought me to Rich Mix, where I got my hand stamped and entered the main space, just behind Ben Haggerty, who, as usual, was compering. Stopped for a drink first- and after I was eventually served, sat over the side in the crowded room. 



They entered, shaking maracas, scattering marigolds to welcome the dead. After an introduction by Ben Haggerty, they took it in turns to tell tales. Of the dead, of lively corpses.. sure enough, Nell played a blinder again, injecting plenty of comedy, but for me, Clare took the prize, literally living her characters, throwing herself physically into each story. Before the break, they exhorted us to leave photographs or names of the dead for their altar..



After the break, the crowd practically had to be restrained, their audience participation running riot. And it was over all too soon, the performers sweeping up the marigolds as they left. And I nearly fell asleep on the train home, again.


Tonight, I'm at a classical concert called Goyescas: Music in the time of Goya, in St. John's Smith Square. I'm going in the company of Kensington Classical Music.

Tomorrow, I was to go to the much over-advertised free comedy in Hammersmith - called Bonfire Special, and I'd signed up to go with five different groups (just because I can): Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and FarringdonRandom LondonLondon Art Comedy & Culture LoversLondon Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less, who advertised the thing no fewer than three times themselves. However, I then got word that it's been cancelled for a private event! So it was ironic that I was considering how many groups I might have to cancel - that's exactly what I ended up doing! Still haven't come up with a plan for that night - we'll see. I may be too exhausted to do anything..

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're off to Aida at the University Concert Hall that Saturday. Another thing to remember to print off tickets for - website permitting!

On Monday, I've booked for a talk given by a new group, Org London, whose theme is Digital Dystopias: Orwell's 1984 and the Internet Age. Or I might go to a film - we'll see.

Tuesday, yippee, I'm back with free comedy in Hammersmith! (so far). Only with three groups so far - Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less (just the once).

Next Wednesday is back with the Man with the Hat, who's taking Let's Do London - for less! to Southwark Playhouse, to see Orca.

Thursday 10th - yes, you guessed it, free comedy in Hammersmith! Think of it as a placeholder. Funnily enough, I'd just booked with London for a Tenner or Less, and only just noticed that Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy, were also advertising. Again. So I've booked. Again. What the hey, it's free.

Now, on Friday 11th, London Dramatic Arts are off to see King Lear at the Barbican. Haven't seen that since I studied it in school. Well, I'm off to see it too - cheaper, and sat in the very back row! Hopefully, with the maze that the Barbican is, it'll be fairly easy to avoid them.

And I did have something to do on the 12th - or rather, the Man with the Hat did, until hardly anyone booked, so he cancelled! Bah humbug. Might go to the Lord Mayor's show, which is on that day. Or perhaps a film.


No comments:

Post a Comment