Sunday 27 November 2016

Concert: Sondorgo & Marja Nuut

When I saw this concert advertised by the London European Club, I thought I'd give it a shot - never heard of either act, but they sounded ok on YouTube. So I booked, and today looked up how to get to LSO St. Luke's from here - as with yesterday, bus only would have taken more than an hour, so bus and Northern Line it was; the 35 or 345 to Clapham Common, Tube from there to Old Street, and we were to meet at The William Blake.


Clapham Common station - one of the narrowest Tube platforms.

Worked fine as far as Old Street - and I was worried about the many exits from there, but really, if you know where you're headed, they're very well signposted, and I had no trouble taking the correct one. (3 for Old Street south side, where the William Blake is, and it'd be exit 4 for LSO St. Luke's itself.) I had a considerable amount of trouble leaving the station though - now, I've never in my life been so unfit that a short flight of stairs - or a ramp - left me so breathless I practically fainted. But for the past month, that's exactly what has been happening, and which I've put down to work-related anxiety attacks affecting my chest, which has always been weak. Well, at least I can predict them now, and know to take a discreet break, at the head of the stairs, to get my breath back. Looking forward to being able to bound up them again, as I used to.

The William Blake wasn't far down the road - goodness though, it's huge! I decided the best course of action was to order a drink, then had a snoop around and couldn't see the group - turned out they were snuggled away in a corner, behind some tinsel. Well, when I found them I joined them, and we chatted away till it was time to leave. Which was when I realised I still had most of my drink left. Bugger, that's the fastest in a long time that I've downed a large wine..


You couldn't really miss St. Luke's, floodlit psychedelically as it is. Well, we went in, shuffling through great piles of fallen leaves, and there we separated, as we'd all booked our seats separately. Mine would be on the balcony - just as well I had the seats to lean on for support, when I got up there. An usher moseyed along after a bit to say that they hadn't sold out, so if I wanted to move seat - or sit downstairs - that'd be just fine. For the moment though, I stayed where I was - I was sat to the side, just over the stage, and with just one performer on stage for the first half, I didn't miss anything.

Our first performer was Maarja Nuut, who gave us about an hour of what you might call mood music. It was beautiful - very charming, very winsome, with overlaid tracks of voice and violin creating a harmonious whole, and merging forest - and later, desert - images projected on the large screen behind her. She wore a lovely, powder-blue dress, with a pleated skirt that only displayed itself fully when she spun in a sort of waltz. Really, a lovely start to the show.

At the interval, I came downstairs - didn't see any of the group, and made a beeline for an empty quarter of the stalls that I'd noticed from upstairs, sitting inconspicuously at a remove from everyone else. I'm glad I didn't take a seat in a busier part of the stalls - a lot of people seemed to arrive just for the second half, and seats that had been empty suddenly began to be filled. Oh, and they put away that screen:


Now, the act for the second (and slightly longer) half was Sondorgo, and they were considerably livelier - which caused me to wonder that they had been put on the same bill. So, Hungarian folk dances made up a considerable part of their set.. and I was to be glad I'd sat downstairs, which allowed me to see the whole thing, as sundry audience members, itching to get moving, decided the side aisles were the place to do it, and set to enthusiastically dancing and clapping along there. Kudos to them, and to the ushers that didn't stop them. Special mention, of course, to the whole section of audience that formed some kind of dance ring, over the side. And to the one guy, bopping along beside them with no interest in joining in. And who could forget the couple I'd been sitting beside for the first half, who couldn't restrain themselves, becoming the only ones on the balcony to leave their seats..

Oh, it was glorious mania - look out for these guys if they pass your way! Not only manic Hungarian dance though - they had one spectacular piece, and I wish I knew what it was called, but it was so sensual in its rhythms - these guys are really good, and you could not have stopped me from joining in the standing ovation at the end. What a fantastic concert - great idea from tonight's organiser!

I didn't see anyone I knew as I was coming out, either. Ah well, it was a great night all the same. Tomorrow, nothing much appealed on Meetup, when I checked, except a walk - Carpe Diem is following the route of the Circle Line overground. But they're not due to finish until four, and I have an interview at 3! Wish me luck.. no, instead of the walk, I had a look to see what cheap tickets were available, and have booked one to a show at the Drayton Arms in the evening, purely because it was the closest advertised. It's called I'm Doing This For You, and apparently we get served vodka and cupcakes. I can live with this. I might need a distraction.

On Tuesday, I was signed up for the proverbial free comedy in Hammersmith - with the usual suspects: Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less (one of the Funzing Meetup groups, although I see Funzing now have their own Meetup group!). But you know, I only use that free comedy gig as a placeholder - I'm happy to go, but equally happy to cancel if something better comes along. And then I saw something had! Walk About London is doing a Christmas Lights Walk (aww!). Never actually done one of these - and this turns out to be the only date I can make! Well now, not missing that. Booked through Eventbrite, with a discount if you mention Meetup. Excellent! (Interestingly, I got an email reminder just this evening - for Once in a Lifetime, at the Young Vic, which I apparently booked for Tuesday. Whyever did I book that, I wonder? I have no memory of it. Sod it, I'd rather the walk anyway.)

Not changing what I'm booked for on Wednesday - back with the Man with the Hat (it'll have been two whole weeks!). With tickets exactly on the £10 border, he's taking both his groups (London for Less Than a Tenner - not to be confused with the one mentioned above - and Let's Do London - for less!) to Southwark Playhouse, where we're going to see Licensed to Ill - a musical about The Beastie Boys (woo-hoo!). The title is taken from their first album, apparently.

On Thursday, I'm back with Kensington Classical Music, for a concert at the 1901 Arts Club, to start off December. New venue for me, but nice and near Waterloo, so should be easy for me to get to.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend - flights booked up to February at this stage, but I'm not booking any more for now until I know what I'm doing long-term - and on Saturday, we're off to the UL Orchestra's Christmas concert.


No comments:

Post a Comment