Monday 28 November 2016

Play: I'm Doing This for You

Nothing on Meetup for today - well, doesn't generally stop me. I had a trawl through what cheap tickets were available, and the closest was I'm Doing This for You, in the Drayton Arms

Had an interview in Hammersmith, so figured there wasn't much point in going home in the meantime, and researched bus routes between them. God though, it was freezing- need to dig out my extra-warm coats. Having enough time to spare, I decided to eat in the Drayton Arms before the play - often threatened to but never before did.


The poor barman didn't want to put in the order, as the kitchen didn't open again till five (10 minutes away) and he thought they'd get confused. But I convinced him at least to take the order with my drink order. And I duly ordered- off the lunch menu, which was all there was. 


Took 20 minutes to arrive after the kitchen opened, but that wasn't his fault-  I couldn't fault the service. The mushrooms on sourdough, which I ordered for a starter, were incinerated but tasty. The flat-iron steak was nice, tender enough that you didn't need a knife.. the Yorkshire puddings I left, from lack of interest. But, as so often in English pubs, the high point were the chips - perhaps the pinnacle of British culinary achievement. 

I was fairly sozzled by showtime. Well, what I thought was showtime- for some reason, I thought it started at 7, when it actually started at 8. Which left me with an hour to kill. I ended up meandering down to the local cinema (as I used to so often when I lived within walking distance), and while I was there, I had the idea to get a pick n mix. Good plan, and by the time I got back, they were finally open. I ended up with seat A1, whoop-de-doo..


Definitely different, this show. We were promised vodka and cupcakes, and true to her word, she passed around vodka shots beforehand. "Laughing juice", she called it. Mine was pleasantly warm on such a cold night - but, after all the wine I'd had with dinner, did leave me with a teensy little headache. And then she, eh, passed us all balloons to blow up. Now, as I mentioned previously, I've always had a weak chest, and despite the fact that I managed to climb the stairs to the theatre this evening without collapsing (now that the stress of today's interview is over), ain't no way I've ever been able to blow up a balloon. After a couple of feeble attempts, I secreted the uninflated object under my chair.

So, the premise of the show was that she had hired us, the audience, to yell "Surprise!" and sing Happy Birthday when her boyfriend arrived - and then we would listen to his comedy act. And so it went on, her becoming ever more agitated as time passed with no sign of him, and the whole thing becoming a bit tragic. And I was afraid that was all there was going to be to it. Until he made an appearance, about halfway through, and things got that bit more interesting. Yep, that's when I sat up and started to enjoy it. It actually turned out to be an inventive, and quite touching, show. And we did get cupcakes, right at the end, which, as she said, contained all the foods you might be avoiding.

That was the last performance here - if you come across it, give it a try. And not just for the free vodka..

Google Maps sent me down Thistle Grove to catch the bus home - this turned out to be a charming back alley, closed to cars, and dotted with picturesque lanterns. I'd have taken a photo if I hadn't been so damned cold. The logic was obviously that as you exit, the bus stop is right across the road. Unfortunately, they hadn't considered that there isn't a crossing just there! I'd have been better off coming down by the cinema, just up the road, where there is one.. Friggin' block of ice I was, shivering there and waiting for my bus, while four on the same route passed, the other way..

I've learned my lesson, warmer coats from now on. Well, I don't have any more face-to-face interviews scheduled! (yet). So I can eschew the fancy ones. Tomorrow, I was signed up for the proverbial free comedy in Hammersmith - with the usual suspects: Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less (one of the Funzing Meetup groups, although I see Funzing now have their own Meetup group!). But you know, I only use that free comedy gig as a placeholder - I'm happy to go, but equally happy to cancel if something better comes along. And then I saw something had! Walk About London is doing a Christmas Lights Walk (aww!). Never actually done one of these - and this turns out to be the only date I can make! Well now, not missing that. Booked through Eventbrite, with a discount if you mention Meetup. Excellent! (Then I got an email reminder yesterday - for Once in a Lifetime, at the Young Vic, which I apparently booked for tomorrow. Whyever did I book that, I wonder? I have no memory of it. Sod it, I'd rather the walk anyway.)

Not changing what I'm booked for on Wednesday - back with the Man with the Hat (it'll have been two whole weeks!). With tickets exactly on the £10 border, he's taking both his groups (London for Less Than a Tenner - not to be confused with the one mentioned above - and Let's Do London - for less!) to Southwark Playhouse, where we're going to see Licensed to Ill - a musical about The Beastie Boys (woo-hoo!). The title is taken from their first album, apparently. Could be interesting timing on that - I have a phone interview with California the same evening. Trying to bump it a bit earlier, but I may end up taking the call in the theatre toilets..!

On Thursday, I'm back with Kensington Classical Music, for a concert at the 1901 Arts Club, to start off December. New venue for me, but nice and near Waterloo, so should be easy for me to get to.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend - flights booked up to February at this stage, but I'm not booking any more for now until I know what I'm doing long-term - and on Saturday, we're off to the UL Orchestra's Christmas concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment