Tuesday 29 November 2016

Christmas Lights Walk

What a palaver it's been just to sort out today! So, I was signed up for the proverbial free comedy in Hammersmith - with the usual suspects: Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Live Comedy, and London for a Tenner or Less (one of the Funzing Meetup groups, although I see Funzing now have their own Meetup group!). Then I saw that Walk About London was doing a Christmas Lights Walk (aww!). Never actually done one of these - and this turned out to be the only date I could make! Well now, wouldn't miss that. Booked through Eventbrite, with a discount if you mention Meetup. Then I got an email reminder - for Once in a Lifetime, at the Young Vic, which I apparently booked for today. Whyever did I book that, I wonder? I have no memory of it. Sod it, I went on the walk.

Researched the bus route, then realised I'd be heading through one of the busiest parts of town at rush hour. Although.. if I left early.. so that's exactly what I did, thanking my lucky stars I never, ever again have to go to Guildford. Shivered, waiting around for the 44 - but I'd learned my lesson: long johns and my furrily-lined Canadian coat. We made very good time to Victoria, where I shivered some more waiting for the 24. It was on the 24 that we ran into the really heavy traffic - but my strategy of leaving early paid off, and when I got off at Leicester Square, it was only about 6.20.. it'd taken me about 1hr 10minutes altogether. So I was at Covent Garden by about 6.30.

Cold, cold, cold.. it was freezing if you stopped moving. The organiser/guide, Hazel, arrived before she'd said she would, and started brandishing her sign. I went and said hi, and wow, she recognised me from my profile picture! Nice one. So she crossed me off the list, and suggested I go get a hot drink, pointing me in the direction of some places - as she said, she wouldn't be leaving till seven anyway.

On the way, I passed Marks & Spencer, and said I'd try there. Queued, counted out my change - only to discover, would you believe, they'd sold out of hot chocolate! I ended up paying 20p more for one in Costa - what the hey, it was warming. Strolled around for a bit, came back and something of a crowd had gathered - she was handing out glow sticks for people to attach to themselves or their bags.

We started, of course, in Covent Garden:


(Full range of photos here.)

There was a family with the group, with two small boys - they didn't last the pace very long though. Fair enough - it was brisk, there were bits without lights, necessarily, as we passed from one area of interest to another: and anyway, I don't think many small boys could sustain their interest in Christmas lights for the 90 minutes this tour lasted.

The rest of us were enchanted. I've always wanted to do a proper Christmas lights tour, and this was it. Not only did she take us around some of the best bits, but her sassy commentary was peppered with local knowledge, born of having been a local resident for years. As for what we saw.. we saw Santa's workshop, made out of Lego. We meandered down side streets and shopping streets, and saw gorgeous decorations.



We saw more, secreted in shopping arcades:


And when she led us down Bond Street, well, I'm afraid she damn near lost us, as we scattered in all directions, not knowing where to look first for all the twinkly decorations!


That street alone was as pretty a Christmas street as I've seen in all my travels. The only place we lucked out was on Jermyn Street, where they didn't actually switch on the lights until about half an hour after we passed through. Despite a woman standing there, her finger actually on a massive button. Boo.

Terrific walk.. highly recommended! Guaranteed to awaken that Christmas feeling. I know she has two more dates advertised - check them out on the Eventbrite link above.

Not changing what I'm booked for tomorrow - back with the Man with the Hat (it'll have been two whole weeks!). With tickets exactly on the £10 border, he's taking both his groups (London for Less Than a Tenner - not to be confused with the one mentioned above - and Let's Do London - for less!) to Southwark Playhouse, where we're going to see Licensed to Ill - a musical about The Beastie Boys (woo-hoo!). The title is taken from their first album, apparently. Could be interesting timing on that - I have a phone interview with California the same evening. Well, I'll do my best to fit in both.

On Thursday, I'm back with Kensington Classical Music, for a concert at the 1901 Arts Club, to start off December. New venue for me, but nice and near Waterloo, so should be easy for me to get to.

Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend - flights booked up to February at this stage, but I'm not booking any more for now until I know what I'm doing long-term - and on Saturday, we're off to the UL Orchestra's Christmas concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment