Wednesday 7 September 2016

Top Secret Comedy Club

Another Wednesday down at Top Secret, complete with the Man with the Hat. Something of a ritual at this stage - and a welcome one, being the first time since Thursday that I'd be out in the company of friendly faces. (The face under the hat being the friendly one from Thursday too, of course.) Now, the last time we were here, the show started really late - so it was wise of our leader (with the hat) to advertise a later starting time for tonight, of 8:15.. not that he determines what time it starts, I'm pretty sure, but people do get antsy if they're waiting for a long time..

..It was also really reassuring, given the heavy traffic that we hit coming back from Guildford. Crawling along, we had to make way for an ambulance.. a fire engine.. then we saw another ambulance and fire engine screaming down the road on the other side, along with a couple of police cars. Sure enough, all of these duly made their way to our side of the road and came screaming up behind us (there's a central railing, so they had to go around). And when we finally came on the scene of the accident - which had blocked two of the three lanes - we saw no fewer than four cars involved, at least one of which had been on fire, and one or two of which had smashed into the central railing.

Pretty bad, then - although, as my passenger remarked, no-one lying in the road, at least - and although the traffic pretty much vanished immediately after, it still ended up being a long journey. But I knew I should make it in time.. after a brief pit-stop at home, I opted for the fast route, and headed to the station for a train to Waterloo. Happily, I remembered my Oyster card this time - well, I don't always use it these days - and would you believe, was perfectly in time for a train to Waterloo. And when I got there, didn't have to wait very long for a bus.

Arrived at about 7:50, waved hi to the Man, but prioritised the purchase of alcohol - it was that kind of a day. Had to queue for a bit, and by the time I had it in hand and was ready to join him, he was showing people into the back row. Made a change for me - I've always sat near the front before: but no problem.. it was pretty crowded. I ended up being sat amongst friendly folk, and in what is quite a hot venue at the best of times - and with the evening turning out as hot as it did - there did seem to be a bit more of a breeze there. Of course, you're closer to the exit there - more than one reason to skulk down the back, then!

It turned out to be an excellent lineup. The person sitting beside me teased me for not piping up when the first comedian looked for Irish people in the audience - hey, alcohol level not sufficiently high yet! This was Paddy Lennox, who hails from the North, it seems, and played that card for the whole set - lightly. Very effectively. Very funny guy. And isn't it odd - when he found an Irishman near the stage (from Mayo, yet), and asked him what his favourite tractor was (because you KNOW everyone has one).. guess what? He and I both agreed on John Deere. ;-)

Anyway. Next was George Lewis - taking us back to his schooldays, with a rap that he wrote for this girl he fancied. And so to the first break - as I explained to my companions, I do try to make that first drink last, here. This is mainly due to the queue at the bar.

After the break, we had the more famous Paul Chowdhry - too famous for his own liking, in a way, as he described to us how, after an episode of Crimewatch, lots of folks thought he bore a striking resemblance to the terrorist featured in the programme. To be fair, they do both have beards..

..Followed by the rather excellent Ivo Graham, who gave a laid-back and polished set. And an intelligent one, as befits an Oxford graduate.

Another break allowed those of us not bothered about bar or loo to check our email. When we could get reception - it's sketchy, down there. And then for the final two acts, by which stage a number of audience members had given up and gone home. Next up was the man with the stunning ginger afro - Karl(?) Legend, from Liverpool. Not sure of the name, but he was good.

Last of the night was Archie Maddocks, whose face I know from somewhere, but whom I hadn't seen live before. Having run out of new material about his (Trinidadian) grandfather, he resorted to a couple of jokes that, as he said, he knew worked. And so sent us chuckling out into the night.

Sadly (and unusually), people didn't really feel like going for a drink after! Not enough of us hardcore members around. Ah well, there'll be other occasions - and we wended our ways home, me taking the bus all the way this time. Which did provide some entertainment while I was waiting, as I watched an unfortunate - and highly inebriated - woman try to negotiate a flight of stairs in very high heels. Never fear - although she didn't make it past the first step on her first attempt, she did have a knight in shining suit to get her up there eventually.

Now! Let it never be said I'm too predictable. I had said I'd go to Bear Jokes Free Comedy, courtesy of London Live Comedy, tomorrow night. But it's all the way up in Hackney, and I was never that keen. And, being free, I was quite happy to cancel - so when I got an email today about cheap tickets, I said I'd check out what they were offering. And behold and lo, they had tickets for The Inn at Lydda. A play about a meeting between Caesar and Christ, it's on in the Wanamaker Playhouse - which, frankly, I'd be happy to go to if all I had to watch was a meeting between two flies. As I would be for its sister building, the Globe. And who knows but I might run into a friendly face there again..

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and on Saturday we're going to the Limetree Theatre for a play based on the love letters between Michael Collins and Kitty Kiernan. Playing for one night only, A Great Arrangement is set during the negotiation of the treaty of Irish independence, and is the latest event inspired by the centenary of 1916, obviously, and also references the Dáil debates and newspaper reports of the time.
 
Next week, Monday and Tuesday are devoted to the Man with the Hat. On Monday, he's taking Let's Do London - for Less! to Southwark Playhouse, for Punkplay - as the name implies, all about punk. On roller skates, I believe. And on Tuesday, he's taking London for Less than a Tenner to Soho Theatre, to see Two Man Show. Which, as you might expect, has two women in it. Talking about men.

No comments:

Post a Comment