Monday 26 September 2016

Storytelling: The Girl Who Married a Dog

I was originally supposed to go to a classical concert tonight - Talent Unlimited have a Music Futures Festival at Asia House all this week, and Kensington Classical Music advertised it ages ago. I knew only too well that I wouldn't be able to make a full week of events - sure enough, the Crick Crack Club started their autumn season tonight. Well, I wasn't missing that - booked straight away, because they always sell out.

I was in Guildford today, but still managed to get back in good time - luckily, because the morning journey was something of a nightmare. Which meant I could try, yet again, to do the whole trip to Soho Theatre by bus. I was a bit dubious, but consoled myself with the thought that the last time I tried, the show was starting an hour earlier, meaning I hit the worst of rush hour.

Same (intended) route as before - wander up to Battersea Park Road to catch the 44 to Victoria, then ahead and around the corner to catch the 38 to Chinatown. First plus point - this 44 really was going to Victoria! (Despite a "two-minute" break for the driver, which turned into five.) And this time, we whizzed through the traffic - it's amazing what a difference even an hour can make in the congestion. Not long to wait for the 38 either.

And not only did I, therefore, catch the cheapest transport possible - made even cheaper by the hopper fare - but also the most atmospheric! It's lovely, driving through the lights of the West End - and you wouldn't see a sight on the Tube like that of the middle-aged Indian couple who hopped on the bus to go see Phantom of the Opera, and not only asked directions of the driver, but the husband stayed up front chatting to him the whole time.. And they would've made their show in plenty of time, I daresay.

So did I, getting off the bus just across from Chinatown, to a delicious whiff of Chinese food. Damn, it's been ages, and I'd have loved to have had a Chinese right then - but I didn't have time for that. However, after getting my ticket, I did have time to nip up to the Tesco up the road and nab a hot steak slice, which I ate on the pavement outside, while looking at the photographic exhibition on the adjacent construction hoarding - unusual for me to have time to eat hot food before a show, and very welcome. I used to get these all the time when we still had a London office, which was near a Tesco. (This particular steak slice was a bit burnt, mind..)

And so back to the theatre to wait for the doors to open. I considered getting a drink, but was on my own and didn't really fancy it - I had noticed the group organiser at the ticket desk when I was there, but by the time I'd concluded my business she'd vanished. Anyway, not too long to wait, and I was soon slogging up all those stairs, to the upstairs theatre.


We were asked not to leave empty seats - predictably, it was sold out. And wandering around the edge, waiting for us to take our seats, was Nell Phoenix. The Girl Who Married a Dog, it turned out, was a collection of Nordic stories. And when she got going.. well, I heard some things that were familiar from other meetings. Like tales of Wolverine, and Otter, and Bear. (I do think I've heard the one about the bear's head before.)

But mostly, as also always happens at these things, most of the stories were new to me - and told with a terrific freshness, and in a wonderfully childlike way, by our storyteller. I do keep trying to explain this to people who've never seen it, and I'm not sure how much they believe me - but there's a terrific art to good storytelling, and I think tonight we saw some of its best. It takes a good storyteller to make each scene, each character, come to life - and tonight, she lived and breathed these characters.

So, we got to feel what it was like for them - and we got to witness their different personalities. Mixed up with a good deal of humour - definitely not kids' storytelling this, the themes could be quite adult. And not a single prop used - no music, no furniture, just her, moving around the stage, acting out the parts when the moment was right. Fantastic stuff - I was torn between listening to the story, and watching a master at work.

Oh, and that girl who married a dog? Her father didn't approve - didn't end well..

I seriously recommend these - I do get to as many as I can, although I have seen a couple that are coming up. Still, already looking forward to my next one! Afterwards, there had been talk of meeting in the bar, but I was tired - and busy - and delighted that the show had finished so early - so when I didn't see any obvious gathering, I took myself off.

I easily found my stop, and although I had a choice of buses, as it happened, I ended up taking the same buses home. Got off one stop too early, but never mind..

Tomorrow and Thursday, I am making it to Asia House - barring last-minute better offers!

Wednesday, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to the Top Secret Comedy Club.

I've arranged with Mary (another regular of the Man with the Hat's) to go on the Emirates Cable Car on Friday. She's been, loved it, invited me. Gosh, d'you know, if it's not on the Meetup calendar, I can forget so easily.. well, now there's a record of it here. This was the first date I was free!

Finally, on Saturday I'm with LDAM again, who - for once - are off to see some Beckett! Hallelujah, he's my favourite playwright - and not theirs, which makes it fun. No's Knife, it is, at the Old Vic.. Hmm, I seem to remember looking forward to when the Meetup groups got busy again. Be careful what you wish for..

No comments:

Post a Comment