Thursday 29 September 2016

Concert: Talent Unlimited & Top Secret Comedy Club

Hello, did you think I'd died? I thought I would, on occasion - it's been a helluva week.

Anyway, as previously mentioned, Talent Unlimited are running their Music Futures Festival all this week in Asia House, as advertised by Kensington Classical Music. Actually, it seems that the organiser of Kensington Classical Music has something to do with the organisation of this as well. So I booked - and was there on Tuesday evening, the Crick Crack Club having won over on Monday (sorry, Jessie, but I do love their evenings!).

Never been to Asia House before - it turns out to be north of Oxford Circus - up Regent Street. Wonderful - I have a tendency to get lost there. Anyway, I was working from home, but with a documentation release this week, things have been ridiculously hectic, and I was flat out at it all day. So the quick route to Asia House was required - train to Vauxhall, Victoria Line to Oxford Circus.

I was frazzled from work, and more frazzled by the time I got there. Pushed through crowds at Clapham Junction, pushed through crowds at Vauxhall, pushed through crowds at Oxford Circus. Sometimes you get very sick of the crowds in London. And this wasn't my regular route from Oxford Circus - one day, I may figure out the exits, but what the hey, above ground I knew where Regent Street was. I just had to cross Oxford Circus to get to it.

To the right of H&M then, up the road, past the church:



Carry on up Portland Place, second left onto New Cavendish Street - Asia House is on the right, with a red door. The organiser had said she'd be there from half past - sure enough, she was behind the ticket desk, welcomed me heartily, gave me a raffle ticket (which turned out to be for the free first drink at the reception afterwards), and got me ticked off the list.

Just as I joined the crowd milling around the foyer, the doors were declared open, and we entered the drawing room:



I got a chair near the front, to the side, beside a handy side table that I could leave things on. And so began an evening that comprised quite the loveliest classical program I think I've heard - all as a showcase for talented young classical musicians. We began with Julian Clef, who gave a beautiful rendition of Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 - and it was as much a pleasure to watch the bliss on one audience member's face as she closed her eyes to listen, as it was to listen to the music itself.

No break until the end - after him, we were straight into the next performance. Which was to come as something of a surprise - the flier we'd been handed as we came in promised a violinist and pianist, playing no fewer than five different pieces. Well, sure enough, Yume Fujise came on with her violin, set up her stand and all, while we wondered where her accompanist was. She finally explained that they weren't going to play all of the pieces listed, which would take 2.5 hours - no, just the last one. But first, she was going to play something completely different. Ok so. I don't remember the composer, but I think the piece was called Meditations on Childhood.. which she played with a most determined expression. Finally, Maria Tarasewicz emerged, took a seat at the piano, and they played Faust Fantasy, by Wienaswski.

The evening ended with the most gorgeous set of pieces, played by Amiran Zenaishvili - Au Lac de Wallenstadt by Liszt, Two Rhapsodies by Brahms, and Scherzo a la Russe by Tchaikovsky. Only thing was, he didn't take applause between pieces, so I think we all got a little lost as to which he was playing! Well, until the Scherzo a la Russe, which couldn't have been anything else but Russian.. An absolutely delightful evening, and mostly pieces I hadn't heard before. I was so glad I came! And then a pleasant drinks reception afterwards (first drink free with the raffle ticket), where you could meet the musicians, if you so chose. And my outift was complimented, which was nice. And I got dragged into the group photo at the end - ah well. Glad it didn't last too late - I was exhausted, and still had stuff to do for work.

I was booked to go last night too, but well, the Man with the Hat intervened again. Sorry again Jessie, but this is something I try not to miss. So, London for Less Than a Tenner was off to Top Secret again. And I got delayed at work - so the quick option it was again, train to Waterloo, bus to Holborn. Got there at abt 7:50, for an 8:15 start. Got my hand stamped with some ink that still hasn't come off:




Queued for a very much-needed drink, turned around, met the Man with the Hat - who does seem to be everywhere at once. And who led me to a seat - front row, on the side. Quite a good one actually, good view of the stage and the performers heading to and from it, and I don't know whether it was the seating or the general conditions, but this was the first time I've been that the place wasn't stifling hot! A great improvement.

Mercifully, the MC didn't do the one about having been dumped by his girlfriend, which has become a staple of his routine. We were to discover that he now has a new one.. I suppose we can expect jokes about her for the next while. Anyway, I'm having a good run of events this week - this was the best night that I've had at Top Secret!

Starting proceedings was Brendon Burns - a foul-mouthed and hilarious Aussie, who spent his time insulting the audience, and picking on Donald Trump. Both of which went down a storm with what was quite a boisterous audience. To be followed by Steve Bugeja, with a much more sedate set. The first break saw me needing another drink, and the Man with the Hat moving me to a better seat - fair enough. And it was still cool there.

After the break - at the end of which the MC singularly failed in getting someone to take her feet off the stage - were two Canadians, Bobby Mair and Dylan Gott, then another break and the night was finished by the only comedian I'd seen before - Josh Robertson sent us laughing into the night, also showing us he was well able for hecklers. A pitiful turnout for the pub after - hey people, I know it's a Wednesday, but come on! Well, we three had a grand old time, and yes, I was to bed too late (given that, counter to plans, I had to come to Guildford again today). What the hey, I'll get some sleep eventually..

Perhaps tonight, in fact! Not only has the back of my work been broken at last (touch wood), but it's another night at Asia House tonight, and hopefully not a late one. Advertised in both Kensington Classical Music and the London European Club, and another sell-out, I believe. For a change, I signed up with the London European Club with this one, and bought my ticket on Eventbrite.

Meeting Mary tomorrow for the Emirates Cable Car. She's been before, loved it, invited me. Must make sure my phone is charged. Gosh, d'you know, if it's not on the Meetup calendar, I can forget so easily.. This was the first date I was free!

Finally, on Saturday I'm with LDAM again, who - for once - are off to see some Beckett! Hallelujah, he's my favourite playwright - and not theirs, which makes it fun. No's Knife, it is, at the Old Vic.. Hmm, I seem to remember looking forward to when the Meetup groups got busy again. Be careful what you wish for..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete