Thursday 1 September 2016

Bloomsbury Walk

I do enjoy London Literary Walks. An entertaining and convivial host, unusual routes, interesting facts - and free, too! Superior walks, for sure. So I was delighted when I saw one scheduled for yesterday - and, having nothing to trump it, I booked.

Now, working from home, I had plenty of time to get there - but this was near Warren Street, and looking at the bus option, the journey would've taken me more than an hour. And it's not like I have nothing else to do. So I plumped for the quick option - train to Vauxhall, Victoria Line to Warren Street, and a short walk.

Had one of those vexing experiences where you're halfway to the station before you realise you've forgotten something, and have to go back. At least it wasn't my house keys.. Arriving at Clapham Junction was quite an experience though - I have literally never seen the crowds so bad. The departure board said there was a train from Platform 10 in 4 minutes. No way I was going to be able to make that, with the crowd this dense. Now, they'd said a train was due from Platform 3 in 1 minute; this was right beside me, and when I heard an announcement from the platform that the train was approaching, I knew I'd make that! And I did.

A relatively uncrowded train and then Tube got me to Warren Street, where I got completely turned around by coming out a side of the station I didn't expect - it took me a couple of minutes to recognise the landmarks from Streetview. When I did, it was easy - with Warren Street (the street with the station on) to your right, walk down the main road, take the third left onto University Street, and you can see the Jeremy Bentham pub, ahead on the left. A sign at the door said the kitchen was closed - just as well I ate at home. This, mind you, was probably why the place was uncrowded - we had the whole of the large room upstairs to ourselves, and passed a pleasant half hour or so there before setting off. (Only quibble was the single cubicle in the ladies'..)

We spent a good while standing outside, talking about the Jeremy Bentham after whom the pub is named. Seems his principles of utilitarianism also inspired the foundation of the adjacent University College, London - the first English university after Oxford and Cambridge. And that's where our walk took us, along the streets that wind through the university - which doesn't have a campus, as such.



(More photos available on the event page.)

The museum even has his body on display.. rumour has it that he actually founded the university, though this is untrue. We wandered amongst university buildings, with an anecdote for each one: saw England's first economics department..



We had a stroll down the gorgeous Woburn Walk, full of eclectic old-style shops, and where Yeats used to live - which gave us our 1916 reference of the evening, in the form of his poem, Easter 1916.



Around the corner is The Place, where I've gone a few times to see contemporary dance performances. It has been a while - and it makes you realise how close together many places in London are. In due course, our thoughtful guide suggested a pitstop, in this pub he'd conveniently stopped outside! Shepherd, Neame & Co. provided us with a welcome rest, drink, and some fortifying crisps, as well as a new companion, who was peacefully reading his book when we descended on the pub, liked the look of us, and accompanied us for the rest of the walk!

..which encompassed many interesting bookshops (and other sights), as we wound our way back to Russell Square Station, and found our various ways home.




And so to bed, being in Guildford today. And to a deep sleep, helped by the fact that the alarm clock was set wrong (I had to reset it following a power cut yesterday). And by the time I woke, my poor passenger was already standing outside by my car! What the hey, we still made it in time - just as well I laid my clothes out yesterday..


Tonight, we're going underground with the Man with the Hat; Let's Do London - for less! is off to the Vaults, for a Pop-Up Opera production of The Barber of Seville. Great, it's been a while..

Tomorrow, London for a Tenner or Less advertised a guided walk in Islington. Sounded good, I booked. Now, London Social Detours were advertising the same thing, and I figured I'd sign up with them as well, as long as they didn't charge me twice - I figured they had a Funzing arrangement, since London for a Tenner or Less are a Funzing group. Imagine my chagrin to discover that, on that event page, the organiser was offering a discount, it being the last walk of the season, apparently. Well, I went back to the Funzing page and checked the refund conditions; yes, I could have a refund if I cancelled at least 48 hours beforehand. Terrific, I did! It comes in the form of Funzing credit, but you can contact them if you want it refunded to your payment method. Fair enough, I'm sure I'll use the credit in due course. And the walk organiser says I can pay in person - so all I have to do is remember to bring cash.


On Saturday, the ever-entertaining Man with the Hat is taking London for a Less than a Tenner (not to be confused with the Funzing group!) to an outdoor screening of Star Wars. We who showed up to the last outdoor screening he hosted are getting a discount that he niftily negotiated for us, since that one was delayed when the folks showing the film (ahem) forgot the film, and someone who lived nearby had to scurry off and get their own copy. So it was delayed, and some folks had to leave without seeing it. Hey-ho, better luck this time; I have seen this Star Wars before, and honestly wasn't completely bowled over - but it is good, and I rarely pass up an opportunity to tag along with the Man with the Hat. This is in Fulham Park, which isn't too far from me - I might drive, which I won't be doing for the other things happening in the meantime..

No comments:

Post a Comment