Thursday 29 September 2016

Concert: Talent Unlimited

And so to the final night of Talent Unlimited's Musical Futures festival at Asia House, with the aim of promoting impoverished young classical musicians. As advertised by both Kensington Classical Music, and the London European Club - both events with the same organiser, who's also something to do with the organisation of Talent Unlimited, it seems. We were to buy our own tickets through Eventbrite, and I chose the London European Club to RSVP to. Could've selected both, not really sure why I didn't.

Anyway, I was in Guildford today, and insisted that I get away on time. Still, I wasn't in time to take the bus all the way to Asia House, and was back on the fast option of train and Tube again. The crowds weren't quite as bad as last time.. or maybe it was that I was less stressed. Anyway, I was glad not to be getting on or off at Victoria, given the driver's dire warnings about overcrowding there, or travelling on the Piccadilly Line, given its signalling problems. And at Oxford Circus, I concluded that there was no way of accessing the exit I wanted (?), so I just took the closest exit I could find to where I wanted to be, and crossed the road again.

Wasn't as worried tonight about being late, given that I'd been there before. And I still made it in time, although a little later than last time. Got the same seat again, in what is a very pleasant room:



So, as I pointed out to the lady sitting next to me, tonight - unlike the last concert - we were to have singing. A careful read of the programme told us that there were two sopranos and a baritone, and that there was a male pianist - Dylan Perez - for the sopranos, and a female one, Connie Luk, for the baritone. When they eventually got started, that is - the drinks reception started before the performance this time, and there was a debate amongst the organisers as to how long they should leave it before asking people to take their seats.

First soprano up had an unusual name - Iúnó Connolly, who, like all the others, had a long list of pieces to perform. Her list included Schumann, Tosti, Mozart, Strauss, and Donizetti - lots of German in there, but overall, just a stunning performance. An expressive face, and the most wonderful voice - I could have listened to her forever, and I think for many, hers was the stand-out performance of the night.

Next up was the baritone, Jacob Bettinelli. More Mozart and Donizetti, sprinkled with Brahms, Korngold, and Poulenc - and a practiced, flirtatious air. Had to have sympathy for the guy though - he was sweating in his tux, while the ladies - well, two of them - had sleeveless dresses. They'd looked into opening a window, but were told they couldn't because the noise would disturb the neighbours. Instead, they left the doorway to the reception room open, and windows open there. Indeed, I spied one of the caterers happily watching (and, I guess, listening) through the reception room window..

Last to perform was Nazan Fikret, who turned the emphasis to musical comedy. Hers was the longest list on the programme, but the songs tended to be shorter - Mozart figured again, along with Quilter, Bellini, Sondheim, and Tesori. A trio of childrens' songs by Satie required an introduction, and she also sang a Turkish number by Selman Ada, in deference to her father's background. A fantastic singer, in particular I think her rendition of The Queen of the Night, later reprised as part of The Girl in 14G, will stay with us. And as one of the organisers remarked, she made a flawless transition between opera and musical comedy.

I found the reception afterwards a bit cold, what with the open windows, and kept my coat on. The wine was good though - and heavens, I was the first to the bar! Well, someone has to be.. Another great evening, and goodness, they even found a birthday girl in the crowd, who had three semi-professional opera singers sing her Happy Birthday. And I got chatting to yet another musician - the place was full of them. Jelena Makarova is a professional pianist - I felt quite the under-achiever, given how long ago I gave up the piano.

Took the bus home, and thought to myself how much nicer that is - more character than the Tube, as well as being cheaper (much more so, with the Hopper fare). I had the time anyway, as I'm working from home tomorrow (at last!). Ironically, the thing I specifically went down for today couldn't be done today, but I was damned if I was going down four days in the week. Anyway, working from home will be handy tomorrow for heading to the Emirates cable car, with Mary.

Finally, on Saturday I'm with LDAM again, who - for once - are off to see some Beckett! Hallelujah, he's my favourite playwright - and not theirs, which makes it fun. No's Knife, it is, at the Old Vic..

No comments:

Post a Comment