Thursday 18 August 2016

Top Secret Comedy Club

Top Secret again last night - as I've said to a few people now (because they asked, and it's true), the first time I was here I walked out. Didn't like it, period. Now, I attended on my own, on that occasion. Several times, since then, the Man with the Hat has led a faithful band from London for Less than a Tenner there several times - and I never went with them. Until one week, I did. And loved it. And have been back a few times since. So, fair to say I give it a high rating nowadays.

I wouldn't drive there (although I might have to rethink that, as I got talking to someone over the course of the evening, who had driven, who'd had no trouble parking, and who swore by this app called Waze (which I have heard lauded before). Well, now that I have a good phone, I might just investigate that - watch this space. For now, I got caught up doing stuff at home, and ended up taking the fast route, rather than the cheap one (which would have been a direct bus) - train to Waterloo, 521 to Holborn.

With the usual confusion of several trains from Clapham Junction to Waterloo, I ended up taking one from the nearest platform - actually, the two nearest each had trains to Waterloo departing within a minute of each other. I figured the nonstop was the better choice - and it might have been, even with the unscheduled stop in between stations. At Waterloo, I was just in time to miss the 521 (this is becoming a habit!). The departure board then said the next was due in five minutes. Then that vanished off the board. Then a bus started to pull in with a completely different number. Then it decided to be a 521. Very suspenseful bus route.

It's not far to Holborn, and I was in plenty of time - got myself a drink (had cash, this time, to avoid the card fee for bills under £10), and was glad to see they haven't increased the price. The place was almost full.. I'm not used to that, but had forgotten that we generally arrive earlier than this; the show started later last night, and the bulk of people had already arrived. Still, I scored a good seat - near the front, but not right under the performers' eye.

I had ample time to admire the view of the (empty) stage, as the room gradually filled up. I'm used to shows in London starting late - audiences tend to arrive late, and you can't blame them, with traffic and public transport as it is. But honestly - 35 minutes?! In a room that was stifling, with pumping music and swirling lights that were just irritating after a while. I've never known such a delay, and if it hadn't been for the group I was spending the evening with, I would have left before the show even started. Even an apology from stage for the late start would have gone a long way - but we were given nothing.

It was such a relief when the mc finally came on - despite his reprise of jokes that he's done so often that practically the entire room knows the punchlines, and recited them along with him. Hey, I guess it's a trademark now. Hallelujah, he was followed by some comedians - and good ones, too. Nick Dixon started, to be followed immediately by his fiancee, Maria Shehata. A short break, and we had two more: the hilarious Latifa Lovejoy (I think), who had a thing about the voice in public announcements, and Tania Edwards - who, for me, was the comedian of the night, delivering a deadpan set as the personification of middle-class ennui, with the hook that she'd just had a baby. It was a new material night, and I think had she done some stuff she was more familiar with, she'd have been more comfortable - but I really admired her sharp delivery. Another of those short bar/toilet breaks, and we had the final two: a Canadian who, I think, was called Brendan Grey, with Josh Robertson ending the night. Pity his set was a bit disrupted by a flickering spotlight.

A good night, overall - but not many of us hung around for drinks afterwards. We select few trotted down the road to the White Hart, as usual, grabbing sofas at the rear. And we had an interesting chat, and the largest number in a long while to be chucked out at closing. Hard to imagine I won't be with them again for over a week..

Anyway, for tonight I'm finally going to Star Trek - Beyond, at my local cinema. Which I have no problem driving to. Should be fun. And late enough that I can grab a proper dinner, for once! 

No comments:

Post a Comment