Tuesday 23 August 2016

Play: The Truth

Yep, I perked up quite a bit when I came across a short film crewing session yesterday - that's something I'd definitely be interested in. But then it occurred to me that this wouldn't be a one-off, that I'd have to go on a regular basis - and like so many things, that just wouldn't be convenient. Instead, I hunted around for what I might get a cheap ticket to: and wouldn't you know it, I got an offer to see The Truth - which the organiser of London Dramatic Arts had recommended to me at the weekend. Yeah, fair enough - I booked.

I got delayed in the office anyway, and wouldn't have made the film crewing session in time - but had more time to get to my play, which wasn't on until 8. It's currently showing at Wyndham's, having transferred from the Menier Chocolate Factory.. I might just have had time to catch the bus, but decided not to cut it fine, and took the quick option instead - Northern Line from Waterloo to Leicester Square, take Exit 1, and it's just outside on the left.

I collected my ticket.. hadn't had time to eat, and debated whether to get something at the concession stand in the lobby, or wait to go upstairs - I eventually got some Maltesers in the lobby, and a good job too; they didn't seem to do food further up. The nice usher on the stairs explained that the house wasn't open yet, but if I went this way, I could go to the bar, and enter from there - so that's what I did. The (Royal Circle) bar turns out to be just over the entrance, and I ordered a wine, which was quite reasonably priced, but also quite insipid.

The Royal Circle itself turns out to be through the large double doors in the bar, and was the next level above the stalls - so I had an excellent view:




Fabulously ornate theatre - it's not often I get to the West End, and I was relishing the experience. I was glad I'd taken the quick option, as I opened my (very theatrical) Maltesers:



The nice man who'd sold them to me warned me to get the plastic off before the show started.. I managed that, but not quite to finish them, and ended up having to munch them during scene changes or laughter breaks.

Yeah. I should really stay away from recommendations issued by the organiser of LDAM - we almost never do seem to agree. This is a comedy - and ended up being one of those most awkward evenings where I'm in the middle of a theatre full of people laughing uproariously, while I'm sitting there thinking, "WTF?!" It's obviously based on a French play - two middle-aged couples, best friends, living in Paris, all with French names. And several times, it occurred to me that, although a clever play, this would probably have been funnier in the original French.

Or with a different director. Or a different cast. Humour is an elusive thing, and I'm not sure what this play needed - but it definitely needed something. Not the lead actor running around the stage like a lunatic, while everyone around him keeps their cool. It's a comedy of misunderstandings and half-truths, and there's a scene where one admits to the other he's been having an affair with his wife, because he's convinced the guy already knows. Then (spoiler) he discovers he hadn't known, and utters the immortal line - wait for it - "I've put my foot in it!"

Whereupon the entire place erupted. Sorry, I still don't get it - I woke up this morning still wondering what on earth made that line funny. All I can imagine is that the whole place (me excepted) was suspended in nervous tension as they realised what a mistake he was making, and released it all at that moment in an explosion of laughter. O dear. It didn't improve before the inconclusive ending - at least there wasn't an interval, so I was out of there decently early. Runs until the 3rd, this show, if you're interested - I'm just glad I didn't pay full price.

Fast home as well, via the same route, seeing as I had to be up early today for Guildford again - at least I'll have benefited from the daily price cap on my Oyster card. And on the train, I spied a lass charging her phone at an available socket - brave girl, someone was arrested for that a while ago, you know! They're not for customer use..

Tonight has a couple of comedy events - I had signed up for the usual free one in Hammersmith, then saw one advertised for The Bedford, with London Live Comedy - half the distance, so I've booked for that instead. And I can drive, which is nice.

Tomorrow, I'm back with LDAM, who unusually had the cheapest tickets for something, would you believe! Showing at the National, this time it's Our Ladies of Perpetual Succour, a riotous schoolgirl comedy set during a choral competition.

On Thursday, the Man with the Hat makes an appearance - his second outing to Macbeth, at the Globe, in fact; I loved it so much the first time that I'm going again. The music is by the same composer who wrote the soundtrack for Eyes Wide Shut, and I adored it - I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack.

And on Friday, I'm back to Ireland again, for a long weekend - it's a bank holiday here the following Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment