Thursday 11 August 2016

The Pissarro Walk

I was delighted to get back to London Literary Walks yesterday evening - I'd come more often, but something else usually gets in the way. Anyway, this walk was around the area I lived in when I first moved to London, a few years ago.. so that would be interesting!

It didn't make much sense to drive, since we were starting and finishing in different places - and I couldn't get a direct bus, but was in time to get two; the 295 took me to Hammersmith, and I then had a choice of the 267 or the H91 (or, indeed, the 190) to Goldhawk Road. I've had great luck, of late, with the 344 arriving just as I did; the 295 wasn't so obliging, and pulled away as I approached. Still, the next one was along just a few minutes later: and at Hammersmith, a 267 had just left, but the H91 was right there, ready to leave! So - although I'd considered walking from there - it seemed churlish not to accept the bus right in front of me.

Gosh, what a trip down memory lane.. it's nearly four years since I trod these streets, but I saw the same restaurants I used to visit, the same sights I saw then. Well, you know, when these streets were your first experience of London, it means more.. couldn't resist taking a photo of my old house:


..not to mention my old bus stop!


Before the walk, we assembled in The Raven. I'd never actually been in here before, fancy - ironic, considering all the GAA and IRFU references inside! Hey-ho, most of the group were already there - they'd taken a booth, but when I arrived, with no more space in the booth, they moved to a nearby table in the middle of the floor. I took a seat there, ordered a glass of wine (when someone eventually deigned to serve me), and found myself seated facing two screens showing the Olympics - separate views on each. The house cat didn't show any interest, only perking up when a waiter passed by with some food scraps. For our part, someone (I'm guessing our guide) had kindly provided a bowl of fries, left in the middle of the table for us to pick at. Much appreciated - I was hungry, but didn't arrive in time to eat. He also passed around a book about Pissarro, so we'd know whom we were talking about on the walk.

In due course, we congregated on the pavement and started our walk. Seems Pissarro lived in the area, you see - and wasn't the only painter of the time who did; all roads lead to London, I guess! Anyhoo, we strolled on, past my old house, through the adjacent Tube station (one of those with a side passage for shortcuts) - already we were travelling routes that were new to me. And our walk took us through some of the lesser known roads of Chiswick, passing Island Studios (which used to be Island Records!) to the Thames Path.



So, on a balmy evening, we strolled along the river, stopping off at various places of interest, where one artist or another stayed - we even had two guides on the walk, effectively, as there was a knowledgeable chap with us who runs a series of (paid) literary walks around pubs, hosted by actors who depict historical figures; check out London Literary Pub Crawl for more information. And so we got a surfeit of information at every stop! Our journey at last took us to The Dove:


Favourite haunt of composers and artists, it has a lovely riverside terrace, where we heard our last bit of history for the day, before repairing to the front bar - where we were a bit cramped, until we scared away everyone else sitting there, and had the whole front area to ourselves. And so we chatted convivially over a drink.

Home from Hammersmith - I stopped off in the Tesco there before catching my bus, and I must say, their steak pie is a massive improvement on the bland beef casserole I got in M&S and wouldn't get again. Glad I got two of those pies - I can have the other today. And although I'm working from home today, and could stay up late, I was just too exhausted to finish the blog last night. Boy, am I glad to have a couple of days working from home, now..

Tonight, I'm off to another of those free comedy nights, also in Hammersmith - and, as usual, it's advertised with several Meetup groups, and as none of them are charging, I've signed up for them all! So I'm "going with".. Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Farringdon: London Art, Comedy & Culture Lovers: London Live Comedy: and London for a Tenner or Less (twice - again, they've advertised two events for the same gig). Think I'll drive - I have all day to figure out the route, and I should be able to get parking. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete