Thursday 11 August 2016

Free Comedy Night

I like these free comedy nights in The Grove - the atmosphere is good, and it's my side of town (although, as I noticed today from researching my route on Google Maps, it's actually five miles away! You don't think about it, but the area of Greater London is over 600 square miles..

Third time lucky - my third time at this venue, and I finally drove. First time, I didn't think I'd get parking, this close to Hammersmith. (Not true.) Second time, I didn't think the route that Google Maps gave me was easy to follow - and I was tired that day. This time, however, I was determined - and working from home gave me all the time I needed to research the three routes that Google gave me - this time, I liked the fastest and shortest one, which took me over Battersea Bridge, up Warwick Road and left on West Cromwell Road to Hammersmith - areas I knew very well when I used to work in the area.

I had my directions printed out, with notes, and the phone on hand for emergencies, as I set out. Right on Battersea Park Road - and my goodness, but it was busy! The worst traffic I encountered, in fact - it was a relief to take the left lane for Battersea Bridge. Nice view as I crossed: then immediately left on the other side, follow the road through to Warwick Road, which I used to walk along to the office. (Did I ever imagine I'd drive the same road?!) Left on West Cromwell Road, passing the old office - by now, it was handy to be able to recognise landmarks. Hug the left lane for the Hammersmith turnoff..

Hammersmith is always fun, especially as trying to Streetview it is a pain - it keeps switching to the flyover view. Essentially, right lane coming off the main road, then take the third lane - for the A315 - rounding the Hammersmith Gyratory (because the first two veer left too soon). As soon as they do, switch to the second lane to take the next left onto King Street, where your task is to avoid shoppers. Now, the one-way system forces you to do a little circle - take the first right possible, then right again, and left onto Hammersmith Grove at the end of the road. Wouldn't you know it, every time I had to make a turn (except the very last one), the car in front of me was going the same way, which was reassuring - and I didn't make a single wrong turn! 25 minutes, it took.

Parking was easy (and free in the evenings), and I was way too early for the gig. So I strolled up to the top of the road, to check out where I'd have had to turn if I'd come via Shepherds Bush - the route I rejected last time. If it's suggested again as the quickest option, I think I'll try it.

Returning to the bar, I ordered a wine (which I intended to last all evening, as I was driving). Someone was offering free shots of something Mexican - I passed. Spilt my drink twice going upstairs, of course, and took a seat - thus filling out the second row nicely; the front row never did have takers. The mc remembered my name! which was nice. And that I worked in IT. And there were others there from Meetup - not that I got chatting to anyone on this occasion; the person beside me wasn't in the mood, it seemed.

The lineup was a varied one, of newbies who, if not polished, were endearing as they tried to last their allotted time. Nobody from the first half really did it for me, and I was beginning to get sick of keeping a rictus grin on my face. Also, the room was getting very warm - it was a relief when they put on some air-conditioning at the beginning of the second half. At the interval, I checked my phone, during which time (surprise, surprise) London for a Tenner or Less cancelled both events relating to this gig. Interesting ploy, probably to disguise just how much stuff they advertise - I see the only events they don't seem to delete after the fact are the talks. You see, although they don't charge for these comedy nights, this is one of the Meetup groups for Funzing, which is a commercial organisation - not what Meetup is supposed to be about, and I daresay they want to fly under the radar if they can.

The second half saw one rather cringeworthy guy, whose name I forget, but who managed to annoy just about everyone there in one way or another. Carmen Ali seemed to be a last-minute addition, discussing her participation with the mc beforehand. Richard Nixon (I think), a New Zealander, looked familiar - and when he told the joke about the similarity between the way ducks swim and the way Irish dancers dance, I knew I'd heard him tell that one before, at We Are Funny. And he is funny, if a bit cerebral - a lot of his jokes, while witty, require thinking about. Funny man of the night, for me, was the headliner, Adam Greene, who was practicing, apparently, for a big show on Saturday.

The journey home actually sounded more complicated, but seemed easier in practice. Travelling in that direction through the gyratory is a lot simpler, and despite a complicated lane arrangement headed eastwards on West Cromwell Road, I still made no wrong turns. Yippee, another route sorted! The view on the bridge by night was even lovelier than by day - but for obvious reasons, I couldn't take a picture!

Back to Ireland tomorrow for the weekend. On Monday, I got a cheap ticket - to a play called The League of Youth, by Ibsen, in Theatre N16. Which means I can drive again, yippee! (Let's hope this one isn't cancelled, as the last one was!) Then Tuesday and Wednesday are Man with the Hat days - on Tuesday, he's taking Let's Do London - for Less! to a production of Thérese Raquin at Southwark Playhouse: and sent out a message today to the effect that this contains strong language, scenes of a sexual nature, full frontal nudity and depictions of graphic violence, and could we let him know if that was going to be a problem. Hmm - nope. And on Wednesday he's taking London for Less than a Tenner (not to be confused with the aforementioned group, which is easily done) to Top Secret. Shh..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete