Thursday 2 June 2016

Drury Lane Walk

Yes! I know! This wasn't the plan.. no indeed, I'd booked to go with the London European Club to a Political Cabaret. And it did sound good. But then someone suggested this walk.. and I was in need of some fresh air, and a friendly face, what with all the stress at work. So, why not? I cancelled the other, and came on this instead.

We were to meet at the Princess Louise beforehand, near Holborn Station. Train to Waterloo, 521 bus from there - I know the drill. However, the journey was made interesting by the fact that every single departure board in Clapham Junction was out of order.. I made my way to Platform 10, where at least I know every train goes to Waterloo. I hopped on the train that had just pulled in. And by the time we pulled out, no announcement had been made about where we were going, or whether we'd stop on the way. Talk about a magical mystery tour..

A bus arrived arrived just after I got to the stop at Waterloo. The driver checked that the three of us at the stop were ok just going to Holborn - perfect. And lickety-split, we were there. Straight ahead to the junction, turn left - the pub is on the left. And my, it's a revelation! Standard old-fashioned facade - it's inside that it really surprises. For a start, there are about four entrance doors. Turns out the entire place is split into sections - it's nearly like walking onto an old-fashioned train, with compartments. And to get from one side of the bar to the other, you literally have to go back outside and pick one of the other entrance doors!

It is lovely, with a patterned ceiling, plenty of ornamentation, marble toilets in the gents (apparently the ladies aren't so salubrious, I didn't visit so can't comment). Each section is separated from the next by gorgeous, frosted glass snob screens. Two problems - firstly, all the screens and partitions make it hard to find the people you're to meet. Secondly, it was packed! Somehow - and despite a fire alarm going off briefly - we did all manage to find each other. We even managed to catch a barmaid to serve us (eventually). Unfortunately, I ended up stood right beside a heater, pumping out hot air quite enthusiastically - for which I can't blame them, it was a freezing cold evening! However, what with that - and having been up so late the night before, working - and the wine - I felt very woozy for a bit, and had to go outside briefly. The ice-cold air revived me quite effectively.

We did leave, finally, and headed off down High Holborn, turning onto Drury Lane and points further, working our way towards Covent Garden. I couldn't honestly tell you everywhere we went, so much of it was unfamiliar to me. But I do remember stopping at practically every single building we passed, because our guide had some interesting anecdote about it!

There was the Travelodge that was built on the site of a leper hospital (I'm sure they fumigated it after!). We stood on the terrace for a wee historical / poetic lecture, John Donne and the Harlot's Progress combined in a tale cleverly related to the area. We passed the Top Secret Comedy Club, where people were headed in for the main show and the owner was chatting to the acts, taking a smoking break before they went on.

After that, we went into areas I didn't know - lovely, leafy side streets with buildings on them that had a hidden history. Our guide knew all about it.. musical connections, poetry connections. We eventually made our way to the Opera House - plenty of stories there, and a pit stop outside the Masonic Hall, for tales about them. We passed a restaurant with hand puppets hanging from the ceiling, we popped into a pub where, apparently, the Royal Geographic Society was founded.. Truly, not since I moved to London have I been so surprised by the content of a walk, and never have I met a more knowledgeable guide. He really stands out, in the plethora of walks offered - I'd love to go on another, have to see what the schedule is like. Apologies for the lack of a photo link - I did take them, but didn't get them uploaded yet, and my phone doesn't work so well here. :-) I'll post it when I have them up. Meantime, there are plenty on the Meetup site.

We were shivering with cold by the end - I should have done like another lady in the group, and worn a scarf and gloves! A trip to the Punch and Judy pub at the end of the evening was very much welcomed, to get in from the cold. No ground level in this pub - upstairs, with a balcony, or downstairs, in the cellar. There was more space downstairs, and that's where we stayed, and drank, and chatted happily. A shivering wait at the stop for a bus back to Waterloo, and the departure boards still out at Clapham Junction! And while I wasn't as late as sometimes, given that I'm in Guildford today, it was already past my bedtime..

Flying to Ireland with Helen this evening for a holiday, and looking forward to the break. The rough plan is to do the Wild Atlantic Way (as much of it we can fit in), starting with the Foynes Flying Boat Museum, and going to Puckoon in Glór that evening. They have a 2-for-1 offer: always good! We'll be meeting up with people, catching at least the major sites - I don't doubt shopping will be done. But the only other definite booking is for the Bunratty banquet, the night before we fly back, on the 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment