Wednesday 22 June 2016

Dance: Zik'r

Thursday threw up a flamenco show by Sadler's Wells - conveniently at their more central Peacock Theatre. Not a second thought - I booked. I adore flamenco.. unfortunately, I left it a bit late to head into town that evening, and just missed the train I needed at Clapham Junction. So, with delays to services that evening, by the time I got to Waterloo, the odds of my getting there on time by bus were slim, and I hopped in a taxi. Whose driver had to be told several times where I was going. Heavy traffic, and when we got there he tried to take me round the back, but couldn't find the entrance - which used up more time. So much for the Knowledge of black cab drivers!

I picked up my ticket, and was ushered to the upper level with a number of other latecomers - it was too late to take our seats in the stalls. Never mind, I picked a good seat upstairs, which wasn't busy. And the performance started soon enough after that I knew that taking a cab had been the right choice..

Zik'r is a spectacular show, tracing the evolution of flamenco from India to Spain. Combining sufi and more traditional flamenco, the stage was filled with singers, flamenco dancers, whirling dervishes.. the music a fantastic mix of Indian, Moroccan, flamenco, and more modern elements. I was absolutely transported. At the interval, hungry, I sought out the desk where they were selling rather delicious ice creams. And while I was sorting myself, two ladies came along and started to ask about the cds. I was so impressed with the music that when I heard one of them was the show soundtrack, I bought it myself.

I took my seat in the stalls for the second half - near the back, but just as good. Another spellbinding set, all stamping feet and swirling, frilled dresses, and a well deserved standing ovation ended the evening. Highly recommended, if you ever see it around.

I got a bus back to the station - back to Ireland for the weekend, and Saturday saw me taking my mother's poodle to be clipped:


And since these things take time, my mother and I popped down the road for lunch in the meantime, to the Auburn Lodge - which has a carvery lunch, rather a cramped queueing area but otherwise fine, with plenty of seating in the bar, where the Euros were showing on multiple screens. Good food, hearty portions, and free tea or coffee included, which is brought to your table, either straight away or later. You'd better grab the desserts while you see them though.. when they're gone, they're gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment